discuss: Thread: small & silent servers

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: small & silent servers
From: Christian Schnobrich ####@####.####
Date: 12 May 2004 15:41:25 -0000

Hello,

I've got some questions... and want to prove that I'm serious.

Below is a sort of table of contents for my HOWTO. I'm aware that
posting it to the list is not the best option, but I absolutely wnat to
get something out of the door. Sorry to all low-bandwidth users out
there (if there still are any).
The actual text is quite finished down to the "Fans" section, the
remainder is mostly in existence, but a terrible mess at the moment.

Would someone agree to put it up on his/her website, and update it once
a week? (I don't belive that I will change it more often)
While I've surely got some webspace with my ISP, I never bothered to
find out how to make use of it; and I don't want to set up a web
presence with all it's legal sideshows. At least not yet. Maybe next
year.

Then, my text is in german. It's too early to have it translated, I
believe -- quite likely some peer review will lead to many changes and
additions. But how do I get german peer review? I did subscribe to this
mailing list only because I couldn't find a german list. Or did I miss
something?

cu,
Schnobs

---TOC of small-and-silent-servers---

General Considerations

* what do I mean with "small & silent"?
* security
* Maintenance
* power consumption
* noise: avoidance and dampening

Suitable Hardware

* general run-down

* old and new disks
-- general
-- new disk and old BIOS
-- SCSI and noflushd
-- flash devices
-- CD-ROM
-- no disk

* MoBo & CPU
--general
--new Hardware (epia)
--386
--486
--586(old)
--586(not quite as old)
--PII, PIII, Celeron
--Athlon & Duron

* Power Supply

* Fans

Setup

* general rules

* truly fanless? (that's difficult)
--how much heat may be exchanged passively (ISO 6946)
--"hot spots"

* encore: power consumption and excess heat
--very brief summary
--power consumption measurements
--fan rpm measurements
--passive heat exchange

* setup: specifically for small & silent
--airflow inside the box
--air exchange with the outside world
--dust filter
--fan rpm control
---sense and (lack of) use
---do-it-yourself
--noise insulation
---for harddisks
---for the case

How to force a harddisk into standby mode

* noflushd: common gotchas

* how to operate services from RAM

Subject: Re: small & silent servers
From: Machtelt Garrels ####@####.####
Date: 12 May 2004 16:43:52 -0000

From: "Scot W. Stevenson" ####@####.####
Date: 13 May 2004 07:07:23 -0000

Hello Schnobs,

> But how do I get german peer review? I did subscribe to this
> mailing list only because I couldn't find a german list. Or did I miss
> something?

I can help with German if everything else fails -- as long as it can
be /Übermorgen/ rather than /jetzt sofort/ =8).

Oh, and one note:

> * MoBo & CPU

If at all possible, you might want to include PowerPC systems like the Apple
G4 and G5.  My iBook G4 is absolutely silent -- wonderful, actually.

Y, Scot

--
                Scot W. Stevenson - Panketal, Germany
Subject: AW: small & silent servers
From: "Thomas MIGLINCI" ####@####.####
Date: 13 May 2004 16:59:35 -0000

Wenns um ein Review in Deutsch geht kann ich dir auch unter die Arme
greifen.

For our english-speaking friends:  i am able to help in a
german-review-process

Thomas

Subject: Re: AW: small & silent servers
From: "Martin A. Brown" ####@####.####
Date: 13 May 2004 18:29:19 -0000

Hello,

Und wenn ein deutschsprachiger Englischmuttersprachler benoetigt
wird, stelle ich mich zuer Verfuegung.  Or something like that.

 :
 : For our english-speaking friends:  i am able to help in a
 : german-review-process

I am offering my help as a German-speaking native English speaker,
if need be.

-Martin

--
Martin A. Brown --- Wonderfrog Enterprises --- ####@####.####
From: Machtelt Garrels ####@####.####
Date: 13 May 2004 19:21:21 -0000

From: Christian Schnobrich ####@####.####
Date: 14 May 2004 14:50:56 -0000

On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 21:21, Machtelt Garrels wrote:

> I think they can do without our help :)  Nice try though ;-)

Huh? I don't think I'll refuse any help, ever.

Thanks to Machtelt Garrels, the current version of the HOWTO is
available for download at
http://tille.soti.org/kleine_leise_server_HOWTO.txt

IMO it is too early for translations or a conversion to DocBook. But I'd
really like to have some feedback about the content: too terse? too
lengthy? something missing?
Can anyone else but me even understand it?

cu,
Schnobs