discuss: Thread: Bible Translation HOWTO (new)

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 4 [>] [>>]
Subject: Bible Translation HOWTO (new)
From: Teus Benschop ####@####.####
Date: 21 May 2004 04:48:46 -0000

Hello All,

I am intending to write a Bible Translation HOWTO soon.  I have read the
LDP Author Guide, and follow the guidelines set out in it. The HOWTO
will cover the software that is currently available for Linux (and that
is not much, but there is some), and will explain that VMware is used to
use to run the Bible translation software that is available for Windows,
and detail out how to integrate the two OSes to make the best of the
job, and then call for new software to be written.

If there is anybody who has any comments on this, that would be great.

Regards,

Teus

Subject: Re: Bible Translation HOWTO (new)
From: "s. keeling" ####@####.####
Date: 21 May 2004 05:33:54 -0000

Incoming from Teus Benschop:

> I am intending to write a Bible Translation HOWTO soon.  I have read the
> LDP Author Guide, and follow the guidelines set out in it. The HOWTO
> will cover the software that is currently available for Linux (and that
> is not much, but there is some), and will explain that VMware is used to
> use to run the Bible translation software that is available for Windows,
> and detail out how to integrate the two OSes to make the best of the
> job, and then call for new software to be written.
>
> If there is anybody who has any comments on this, that would be great.

A HOWTO on how to use a commercial app to run another commercial app
designed for a commercial operating system, on Linux; my only comment
would be, why drag Linux into this?

Why is this specifically about Bible translation?  There is lots of
need for translating generic documents from one language to another.
What's the Bible got to do with it?

- -
From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" ####@####.####
Date: 21 May 2004 05:46:09 -0000

At 23:32 5/20/2004, s. keeling wrote:
>A HOWTO on how to use a commercial app to run another commercial app
>designed for a commercial operating system, on Linux; my only comment
>would be, why drag Linux into this?

 From Teus's post: "The HOWTO will cover the software that is currently
available for Linux (and that is not much, but there is some) ... then call
for new software to be written." If the only way for Linux users to perform
this task today is to use these tools, then helping them is valid. Again,
his point was also to promote the creation of better software for Linux.

>Why is this specifically about Bible translation?  There is lots of
>need for translating generic documents from one language to another.
>What's the Bible got to do with it?

Come on, s. keeling... you know better than that! Because the Bible (and
the Koran, and the Talmud...) are anything *BUT* generic documents.
Translation in these cases is extremely delicate in that there is usually
already an accepted text in the other language, and in that regardless of
the level of accuracy, people reading it out of religious belief rather
than literary interest place a great deal of weight and value on the exact
meaning and intent of each word and phrase.

Besides, he *wants* to deal with Bible translation and not generic
translation. If you look at it subjectively, it's just as valid a want/need
as any other.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
####@####.####

From: "s. keeling" ####@####.####
Date: 21 May 2004 05:56:52 -0000

Incoming from Rodolfo J. Paiz:

> Besides, he *wants* to deal with Bible translation and not generic

You're right.  My apologies, Teus.  I guess it was the infidel in me
that was talking.  I probably won't make a very good reviewer for this
one.  :-)

- -
From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" ####@####.####
Date: 21 May 2004 06:39:30 -0000

At 23:55 5/20/2004, s. keeling wrote:
>Incoming from Rodolfo J. Paiz:
> >
> > Besides, he *wants* to deal with Bible translation and not generic
>
>You're right.  My apologies, Teus.

Sorry if I sounded harsh... didn't mean to. <grin>

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
####@####.####

From: "Michael H. Collins" ####@####.####
Date: 21 May 2004 07:11:16 -0000

i dont think any mythology should be included in unix

--
Michael H. Collins  Admiral, Penguinista Navy

http://linuxlink.com

/"\    	ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /    	No HTML/RTF in email
  x     	No Word docs in email
/ \    	Respect for open standards

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
  - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

From: "Ferg / LDP" ####@####.####
Date: 21 May 2004 13:03:53 -0000

> Incoming from Teus Benschop:
>> I am intending to write a Bible Translation HOWTO soon.  I have read the
>> LDP Author Guide, and follow the guidelines set out in it. The HOWTO
>> will cover the software that is currently available for Linux (and that
>> is not much, but there is some), and will explain that VMware is used to
>> use to run the Bible translation software that is available for Windows,
>> and detail out how to integrate the two OSes to make the best of the
>> job, and then call for new software to be written.
>
> Why is this specifically about Bible translation?  There is lots of
> need for translating generic documents from one language to another.

I agree. Can you design this in a generic manner covering
available translation s/w (or the lack thereof)? Then,
if you wish, cover the bible translation as a "case study"
(in an appendix, something like that)?

regards,
--
Greg Ferguson / LDP volunteer
####@####.####
From: "s. keeling" ####@####.####
Date: 21 May 2004 13:35:45 -0000

Incoming from Rodolfo J. Paiz:
> At 23:55 5/20/2004, s. keeling wrote:
> >Incoming from Rodolfo J. Paiz:
> >>
> >> Besides, he *wants* to deal with Bible translation and not generic
> >
> >You're right.  My apologies, Teus.
>
> Sorry if I sounded harsh... didn't mean to. <grin>

You weren't.  I was out of line.  Lots of geekish religious wars might
be on topic here, but that one's best argued elsewhere.  Whatever I
think of it, it's not Teus' problem.

- -
From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" ####@####.####
Date: 21 May 2004 13:46:27 -0000

At 01:11 5/21/2004, Michael H. Collins wrote:
>i dont think any mythology should be included in unix

Why? To follow the point, a Linux distro such as Red Hat could have a
bible-text-1.0.rpm package and I see no downside. People can install it or
not, as they choose, just like any other package. They could also have a
Koran package, a Talmud package, the complete contents of the Gutenberg
Project, the whole set of Dilbert comics... you see my point, I hope.

This is not a religious debate at all. The guy wants to write a HOWTO that
will help Linux users who want to do Bible translation. Maybe 5 million
people will read it, maybe 5... it doesn't matter. He is not pushing
Catholicism or Christianity on anyone, but he *is* entitled to believe
whatever he wants. And his concentrating on one particular text or type of
text which *does* have special requirements is no problem.

Of course I agree that Linux/Unix should not have or promote any religious
beliefs over any other. But that is not the case we are discussing here.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz

From: Daniel Quintiliani ####@####.####