discuss: Thread: man LDP in Debian

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: man LDP in Debian
From: Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.####
Date: 15 Apr 2004 02:36:09 -0000

Yikes! Type:
	man LDP
in Debian. It's the wrong URL for the main site and all of the mailing
lists are wrong as well. How do we get that fixed ASAP?

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]
From: doug jensen ####@####.####
Date: 15 Apr 2004 05:18:34 -0000

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 10:34:23PM -0400, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> Yikes! Type:
> 	man LDP
> in Debian. It's the wrong URL for the main site and all of the mailing
> lists are wrong as well. How do we get that fixed ASAP?
>
> emma

Hi Emma,

Yikes!  It's not just Debian it's all over the place!!

That isn't a Debian developed man page, the upstream maintainer is
Andries E. Brouwer, but maybe he has an upstream also, see:
  www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/man/

That page also has a bad link at the bottom:
  For documentation other than man pages, see the LDP home site.
Which points to:
  http://www.linuxdoc.org/

--
Doug Jensen
From: Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.####
Date: 18 Apr 2004 18:44:38 -0000

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 11:18:02PM -0600, doug jensen wrote:
> That isn't a Debian developed man page, the upstream maintainer is
> Andries E. Brouwer, but maybe he has an upstream also, see:
>   www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/man/

The corrections have been made. I have no idea how long it will take for
the changes to propogate. Thanks for the maintainer's contact info. that
was very useful!

emma :)

From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 21 Apr 2004 20:46:42 -0000

Hello. Or ahem perhaps...

Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 11:18:02PM -0600, doug jensen wrote:
>
>>That isn't a Debian developed man page, the upstream maintainer is
>>Andries E. Brouwer, but maybe he has an upstream also, see:
>>  www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/man/
>
> The corrections have been made. I have no idea how long it will take for
> the changes to propogate. Thanks for the maintainer's contact info. that
> was very useful!

Would that man page be this one?
	http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/intro.asc

If it is, the source (nroff) should be this one:
	http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/intro.ldp

... in which case the author is yours truly.

As the copyright indicates I wrote it in 2000 after some
discussions here and submitted it to the man page coordinator. The
free license used should allow anyone to edit it. I guess it could
do with more updating than just changing addresses.

It has been on my web pages for some time, and noone recognised
it. Perhaps this is a good time to invite you all over to my
prototyping page to peruse  some of my other projects:
	http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/tarpl.html

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen

From: Rahul ####@####.####
Date: 25 Apr 2004 22:59:04 -0000

 --- Stein Gjoen ####@####.#### wrote: > Hello.
Or ahem perhaps...

> Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 11:18:02PM -0600, doug
> jensen wrote:
> >
> >>That isn't a Debian developed man page, the
> upstream maintainer is
> >>Andries E. Brouwer, but maybe he has an upstream
> also, see:
> >>  www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/man/
> >
> > The corrections have been made. I have no idea how
> long it will take for
> > the changes to propogate. Thanks for the
> maintainer's contact info. that
> > was very useful!
>
> Would that man page be this one?
> 	http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/intro.asc
>
> If it is, the source (nroff) should be this one:
> 	http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/intro.ldp
>
> ... in which case the author is yours truly.
>
> As the copyright indicates I wrote it in 2000 after
> some
> discussions here and submitted it to the man page
> coordinator. The
> free license used should allow anyone to edit it. I
> guess it could
> do with more updating than just changing addresses.

Since you are the original author and it needs more
work I guess you could spend sometime updating it.

> projects:
> 	http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/tarpl.html

has any work been done on the generator. is it robust
enough to be included in tldp.org?

regards
Rahul

From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 4 May 2004 21:52:29 -0000

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>  --- Stein Gjoen ####@####.#### wrote: > Hello.

[regarding man page for TLDP]

>>As the copyright indicates I wrote it in 2000 after
>>some
>>discussions here and submitted it to the man page
>>coordinator. The
>>free license used should allow anyone to edit it. I
>>guess it could
>>do with more updating than just changing addresses.
>
> Since you are the original author and it needs more
> work I guess you could spend sometime updating it.

That guess is unfortunately not entirely correct,
my schedule is more or less fully booked until end
of August with very little time in between, hence
my rather delayed replies.

I would indeed have liked to change it myself but as
the copyright is free anyone can change it without
asking me. Has it already been changed? If so, to what?

>>projects:
>>	http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/tarpl.html
>
> has any work been done on the generator. is it robust
> enough to be included in tldp.org?

I believe the generator itself is sufficiently robust
for inclusion. As the text explains it has already been
used to make a sample HOWTO which was successfully run
through the entire tool chain.

However the copyright selections have
to be modified and we have to find a Creative Commons
license that we can accept. I thought there was only
one but as it turns out there is a web page that makes
one for you from a form you fill in with many variations
possible.

I might as well ask the question here then: what variety
of the Creative Commons can we accept for HOWTOs?

A DocBook generator is also in the works by others, I
will let them present it when they feel it is ready. Also
they would like to know the licensing issues.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen

From: Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.####
Date: 4 May 2004 22:35:58 -0000

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 11:55:29PM +0200, Stein Gjoen wrote:
> I would indeed have liked to change it myself but as
> the copyright is free anyone can change it without
> asking me. Has it already been changed? If so, to what?

I've already told the list that the maintainer of man pages has already
emailed me to say he's made the corrections. The changes have not
propagated to the latest Debian unstable package; I have no idea how long
that takes though.

The revised text reads as follows:
WEB PAGES
       The  LDP  has its own dedicated web site as do many of the
       various translations projects which are  linked  from  the
       main LDP web site at
              http://www.tldp.org/
       which you may wish to bookmark.

MAN PAGES
       A  web  page  with status information for manual pages and
       translations is found at
              http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/man/

MAILING LISTS
       LDP has a number of mailing lists, such as

       ####@####.####
              Announcements from the LDP project

              General discussion on the LDP project

              Questions about the use of DocBook

       For subscription information, see the website.

       If you are interested in DocBook beyond the simple  markup
       of your LDP document, you may want to consider joining one
       of the OASIS DocBook mailing lists. Please see http://doc\255
       book.org/mailinglist/index.html for more information.

FILES