discuss: Thread: Linux Dictionary Retraction

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Linux Dictionary Retraction
From: Binh ####@####.####
Date: 26 May 2004 00:43:31 -0000

Dear LDP members,

I know this is asking a heck of a lot but I was
wondering whether someone was able to remove all
references to the recent copyright violation of the
Linux Dictionary from both the mailing list and the
LDPWN. Everything has been sorted out now and yet it
seems as though the owner of the website (and the
website itself) is still receiving undue slack as a
consequence of his honest mistake. My intention was
never to have the site shut down, only to have the
work sourced. As far as I'm concerned everyone should
possess the right to a second chance, most especially
in cases like this where everything has come to an
amicable agreement.

Please help if you can....
Thankyou,
Binh

http://au.movies.yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Linux Dictionary Retraction
From: Owen ####@####.####
Date: 26 May 2004 05:48:19 -0000

On Wed, 26 May 2004 10:43:04 +1000 (EST)
Binh Nguyen ####@####.#### wrote:

> I know this is asking a heck of a lot but I was
> wondering whether someone was able to remove all
> references to the recent copyright violation of the
> Linux Dictionary from both the mailing list

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.

Thanks to Mr Fitzgerald

     Owen
From: "Ferg / LDP" ####@####.####
Date: 26 May 2004 13:58:22 -0000

> I know this is asking a heck of a lot but I was
> wondering whether someone was able to remove all
> references to the recent copyright violation of the
> Linux Dictionary from both the mailing list and the
> LDPWN.  ...

I cleaned up *some* of the news (LDPWN) posts on our site.
The mailing list archives still exist. I agree with Owen's
post (courtesy of Fitzgerald), but I took pity(!). There's
a lesson here somewhere.

Anyway, we move on.
--
Greg

From: Paul Jones ####@####.####
Date: 26 May 2004 15:11:13 -0000

are the mailing list archives on gabber? i think that ser could drop off
the 4 or 5 messages there pretty easily -- am i wrong?
at least binh and scott could post notes stating that there was a
misunderstanding that is now resolved and that everyone loves one another
again.

On Wed, 26 May 2004, Ferg / LDP wrote:

+
+> I know this is asking a heck of a lot but I was
+> wondering whether someone was able to remove all
+> references to the recent copyright violation of the
+> Linux Dictionary from both the mailing list and the
+> LDPWN.  ...
+
+I cleaned up *some* of the news (LDPWN) posts on our site.
+The mailing list archives still exist. I agree with Owen's
+post (courtesy of Fitzgerald), but I took pity(!). There's
+a lesson here somewhere.
+
+Anyway, we move on.
+--
+Greg
+
+
+
+
+______________________
+http://lists.tldp.org/
+

                             Paul Jones
 "Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation." Alasdair Gray
                    http://www.ibiblio.org/pjones/
  ####@####.####   voice: (919) 962-7600     fax: (919) 962-8071

From: Binh ####@####.####
Date: 27 May 2004 00:28:27 -0000

> are the mailing list archives on gabber? i think
> that ser could drop off
> the 4 or 5 messages there pretty easily -- am i
> wrong?
> at least binh and scott could post notes stating
> that there was a
> misunderstanding that is now resolved and that
> everyone loves one another
> again.

Dear Scott,

I've never known anyone like you.... in the short
amount of time that I've known you I've come to love
you.... Just kidding! :)

Anyway, this is just a notice to say that I restract
all and any derogatory statements about you and your
website. I apologise well and truly for the turmoil
that this has caused you. I will attempt in future to
be more patient in these matters. As I've already
stated, your website (as well as a number of other
databases) will be receiving front page hyperlinks in
the next revision of the 'Linux Dictionary' (due mid
year). Hopefully, this will encourage more people to
source as soon as they use the work. I'm also thinking
of ways of incorporating a short notice of origin into
every definition as well to make this type of
infringement virtually impossible.

Binh.

Gosh.... got to be more careful next time about these
things. Apart from the LDPWN is there any other we can
issue official responses on matters like this? What's
a good period of time to wait before pushing for action?

http://au.movies.yahoo.com
From: Binh ####@####.####
Date: 27 May 2004 00:30:23 -0000

 --- Ferg / LDP ####@####.#### wrote: >
> > I know this is asking a heck of a lot but I was
> > wondering whether someone was able to remove all
> > references to the recent copyright violation of
> the
> > Linux Dictionary from both the mailing list and
> the
> > LDPWN.  ...
>
> I cleaned up *some* of the news (LDPWN) posts on our
> site.
> The mailing list archives still exist. I agree with
> Owen's
> post (courtesy of Fitzgerald), but I took pity(!).
> There's
> a lesson here somewhere.
>
> Anyway, we move on.
> --
> Greg
>

> ______________________
> http://lists.tldp.org/

Thankyou

http://au.movies.yahoo.com
From: Rahul ####@####.####
Date: 27 May 2004 01:34:55 -0000

> thinking
> of ways of incorporating a short notice of origin
> into
> every definition as well to make this type of
> infringement virtually impossible.

i think people could always infringe if they wanted
to. just dont make it too much annoying for the rest
of the us who just wanted to understand a definition

> Gosh.... got to be more careful next time about
> these
> things. Apart from the LDPWN is there any other we
> can
> issue official responses on matters like this?
> What's
> a good period of time to wait before pushing for
> action?

ldp doesnt actually have a say in this matter. the
copyright belongs to you. only you can do something
about this legally.

fsf is pretty good in keeping things wrapped up when
its comes to complaince with the gpl. thats the best
way to move forward. dont expose anybody unless its
the only thing left to do other than legal action. if
you have a strong case and a good lawyer things can
move smoothly without embrassing anybody.

regards
Rahul