discuss: Thread: Re: general

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 2 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: general
From: Machtelt Garrels ####@####.####
Date: 28 Oct 2003 16:29:13 -0000

From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 28 Oct 2003 21:35:06 -0000

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 10:29:07AM -0600, Machtelt Garrels wrote:

> Thought this was worth posting on the discuss list as well (Carlo:
> subscription needed!)
> See below for more.
>
> On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Stramaglia, Carlo wrote:
>
> > I think there's an error in The Linux Network Administrator's Guide, Second
> > Edition.
> >
> > In section 2.2:
> >
> > Class A
> > 	Class A comprises networks 1.0.0.0 through 127.0.0.0. The network
> > number is contained in the first octet. This class provides for a 24-bit
> > host part, allowing roughly 1.6 million hosts per network.
> >
> > I think instead it allows "....16 million hosts per network."

Since the last 3 bytes (24 bits) represent the host number, 2^24 is
about 16 million (since 2^20 is about a million and 2^4=16).  So 16
million is correct.

> > Just to be exact.

> This entire guide needs updating, if you ask me, but the only reasonable
> contact address I could find in it is ####@####.####  I don't think it
> will help us much to use that address.
>
> Can we contact somebody, such as the authors, more directly on this and
> ask if they are still maintaining the document?
>
> Tille.

This should be marked as needed a new author in the database (what
database :-).
			David Lawyer
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 28 Oct 2003 22:51:43 -0000

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 13:34, David Lawyer wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 10:29:07AM -0600, Machtelt Garrels wrote:
> > This entire guide needs updating, if you ask me, but the only reasonable
> > contact address I could find in it is ####@####.####  I don't think it
> > will help us much to use that address.
> >
> > Can we contact somebody, such as the authors, more directly on this and
> > ask if they are still maintaining the document?
> >
> > Tille.
>
> This should be marked as needed a new author in the database (what
> database :-).

I believe if the authors can't be located via their known email address
or web site (if it's in the document), and if Google can't turn up
anything email or web, then we should make a note on the Unmaintained
list, which is all we have for now.

Tab

--
Tabatha Marshall
Web: www.merlinmonroe.com

From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 29 Oct 2003 23:44:46 -0000

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 02:55:50PM -0800, Tabatha Marshall wrote:
> I believe if the authors can't be located via their known email address
> or web site (if it's in the document), and if Google can't turn up
> anything email or web, then we should make a note on the Unmaintained
> list, which is all we have for now.

A while ago, moving something to the Unmaintained list meant essentially
removing it from the collection.  It wouldn't go out to the mirror sites
and would be removed from the tarballs we distribute.  But for the past
couple years or so, they seem to remain in the main collection for years
after they are put into Unmaintained.  So what's in "Unmaintained" are
really in two possible categories: Removed from the main collection or
still in the main collection.

			David Lawyer
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 30 Oct 2003 19:34:33 -0000

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 15:37, David Lawyer wrote:
> A while ago, moving something to the Unmaintained list meant essentially
> removing it from the collection.  It wouldn't go out to the mirror sites
> and would be removed from the tarballs we distribute.  But for the past
> couple years or so, they seem to remain in the main collection for years
> after they are put into Unmaintained.  So what's in "Unmaintained" are
> really in two possible categories: Removed from the main collection or
> still in the main collection.

Duly noted.  I'd be interested in finding out how many in the list are
still being distributed.  Would that be difficult/easy to determine?

Tab

From: doug jensen ####@####.####
Date: 25 Nov 2003 23:18:43 -0000

Plucked from the listserve archive:
| On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 15:37, David Lawyer wrote:
| > A while ago, moving something to the Unmaintained list meant essentially
| > removing it from the collection.  It wouldn't go out to the mirror sites
| > and would be removed from the tarballs we distribute.  But for the past
| > couple years or so, they seem to remain in the main collection for years
| > after they are put into Unmaintained.  So what's in "Unmaintained" are
| > really in two possible categories: Removed from the main collection or
| > still in the main collection.
|
| Duly noted.  I'd be interested in finding out how many in the list are
| still being distributed.  Would that be difficult/easy to determine?
|
|	            Tab

Here's a list:

Alpha-HOWTO - Last update 1997
Ftape-FAQ - Last update 1998
Hebrew-HOWTO - Last update 1995
LBX - Last update 1997
Netscape+Proxy - Last update 1997
NFS-Root - Last update 2002
Qmail+MH - Last update 1998
Soundblaster-AWE - Last update 1998
UMSDOS-HOWTO - Last update 2001
Visual-Bell - Last update 2001
Wacom-Tablet-HOWTO - Last update 2001

The HOWTOs that are on the Unmaintained list, but have new maintainers
listed are _not_ included.

--
Doug Jensen

Subject: Fwd: general
From: Y Giridhar Appaji Nag ####@####.####
Date: 22 Nov 2004 12:25:04 -0000

Is this because the lists are heavily spam filtered?

Unfortunately for me also, I can't send mails to The LDP lists.  I am
able to send email to ####@####.#### and I get a response
for "confirmation".  After I confirm my subscription nothing happens.
I don't get any email saying that I have been added to the list or
that I have been rejected for such and such reason and the list email
does not get delivered to me.  Is there any data I can provide to the
list admins so that we can investigate this problem?

It might be a good idea to have the filters publicly placed somewhere?

Giridhar

From: "Roman Kuznetsov" ####@####.####
Date: 22 Nov 2004 13:37:34 -0000

It there any way you can help me to post the doc for a review?
Any alternative way for submitting?

The document is also available online at
http://www.systola.org/howto/overlap/overlap-en.cfm

Any help is very much appreciated!

Mit freundlichen Gruessen
and with kind regards