discuss: Thread: Linux Documentation Library check

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Linux Documentation Library check
From: "Oleg Vyushin" ####@####.####
Date: 24 Sep 2003 17:19:26 -0000

I check eLibrary Project NOW under:

1. Mozilla 1.3 (Knoppix 3.2 CD) - OK!
2. Mozilla 1.4 (Release) - OK! (see screenshot)
3. Mozilla 1.5 (Release Candidat 1) - OK! (see screenshot)

What next ?

From: Saqib Ali ####@####.####
Date: 24 Sep 2003 17:47:34 -0000

Oleg,

What is the technology stack behind eLibrary. is it WebDAV capable?

Thanks

Saqib Ali
---------
http://www.xml-dev.com

From: Terrence Enger ####@####.####
Date: 24 Sep 2003 18:18:43 -0000

At 10:16 2003-09-24 -0700, Oleg Vyushin wrote:
> I check eLibrary Project NOW under:
>
> 1. Mozilla 1.3 (Knoppix 3.2 CD) - OK!
> 2. Mozilla 1.4 (Release) - OK! (see screenshot)
> 3. Mozilla 1.5 (Release Candidat 1) - OK! (see screenshot)
>
> What next ?

Well, you might want to make your page syntactically
correct.  It currently fails to take even the first step in
that direction:
<http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Felibrary.fultus.com%2Flinux%
2F>
says "Fatal Error: No DOCTYPE specified!"

FWIW, I read the original announcement in the list, and
thought this sounded pretty neat.  I tried to view the
page.  When I finished reading the rest of the messages
accumulated in this list, the lights on my dial-up modem
showed data transfer still in going on, and Netscape had
rendered only a vertical grey separator like it puts between
frames of a page.

Terry.

From: "Chris Karakas" ####@####.####
Date: 25 Sep 2003 15:33:14 -0000

> Well, you might want to make your page syntactically
> correct.  It currently fails to take even the first step in
> that direction:
> <http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Felibrary.fultus.com%2Flinux%
> 2F>
> says "Fatal Error: No DOCTYPE specified!"

Terrence, THANK YOU!

You saved this list from a rant of mine, which I was almost going to write down! I
think the above answer of yours is the best and says it all - and I wonder why I
didn't come up with it, although I include a validator icon with a link that
validates the current page on almost every page on my website...

Let me try to answer to Oleg, who has bombarded me with what he tinks is enough
proof of his interoperability and accessibility  efforts:

Oleg, I really appreciate the time you take to do all these tests, but you miss the
point. A link with blanks in it, *has* to have the blanks (if they are sooo
necessary) written as "%20". The browsers you are testing with probably do the
following:

- ask for the links with the blanks
- get an error back
- intercept this error and try again, this time replacing blanks with %20s
- display the right link and page

Just because those browsers correct your error automatically, putting %20 in every
blank, it is by no means proof that you didn't make any. Why do *I* have to upgrade
and not *you* have to write correct links?

Regards

Chris Karakas
http://www.karakas-online.de

From: "Dan Scott" ####@####.####
Date: 25 Sep 2003 18:55:37 -0000

RoboHelp (the underpinnings of the content at fultus.com, it appears) is
a weird choice for a documentation server.

If you want to provide the LDP documents under a good open source
documentation server that includes support for full Boolean and wildcard
searching, a localized interface, smart table of contents (download just
a section at a time, instead of the whole thing), and fast performance,
take a look at the Eclipse help system (a subset of the complete Eclipse
project, the help system can run on its own as an "Information Center").

For more info see
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/platform-help-home/main.html

An example of an Eclipse-based help system that makes documentation
viewable and searchable in 28 languages can be seen at
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2help/ (yeah, it's
documentation for a proprietary product, but it's a decent demonstration
of the help system's capabilities).

I would be glad to offer help if the LDP is interested in prototyping
some HOWTOs in an Eclipse-based help system.

Dan