discuss: Thread: Re: Draft of the Mock Mainframe Mini-Howto

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: RFC: Draft of the Mock Mainframe Mini-Howto
From: "Scot W. Stevenson" ####@####.####
Date: 28 Sep 2003 19:05:04 -0000

Hi -

I have completed a first draft of the Mock Mainframe Mini-Howto, and would be
most grateful for any comments, corrections, or simple feedback from anyone
here who could spare some time:

"A brief description of a standard way to set up and work with a computer
network for a small group of people that is inexpensive to build, easy to
administer, and relatively safe. It is written for users who might not be
completely familiar with all of the concepts involved."

A HTML version can be found at

http://www.possum.in-berlin.de/scot/mock_mainframe_howto_20030928.html

The text itself is in DocBook XML.

Thank you,
Y, Scot

--
          How to quiet a crying baby with the X Window System:
                  nice xlock -inwindow -mode kumppa

               Scot W. Stevenson - Zepernick, Germany

Subject: Re: RFC: Draft of the Mock Mainframe Mini-Howto
From: "Guru -" ####@####.####
Date: 29 Sep 2003 01:32:05 -0000

Looks like a very interesting guide.
I was planning on doing something like that one-day (not anytime soon),
using lower-spec hardware though.
Just one thing, I only glanced over the document but isn't it closer to a
thin-client Mini-Howto or terminal server mini-howto rather than its current
title?
Looks like a good document.

Gareth
>From: "Scot W. Stevenson" ####@####.####
>To: ####@####.####
>Subject: RFC: Draft of the Mock Mainframe Mini-Howto
>Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 21:06:58 +0200
>
>Hi -
>
>I have completed a first draft of the Mock Mainframe Mini-Howto, and would
>be
>most grateful for any comments, corrections, or simple feedback from anyone
>here who could spare some time:
>
>"A brief description of a standard way to set up and work with a computer
>network for a small group of people that is inexpensive to build, easy to
>administer, and relatively safe. It is written for users who might not be
>completely familiar with all of the concepts involved."
>
>A HTML version can be found at
>
>http://www.possum.in-berlin.de/scot/mock_mainframe_howto_20030928.html
>
>The text itself is in DocBook XML.
>
>Thank you,
>Y, Scot
>
>--
>           How to quiet a crying baby with the X Window System:
>                   nice xlock -inwindow -mode kumppa
>
>                Scot W. Stevenson - Zepernick, Germany
>

>______________________
>http://lists.tldp.org/

Chat via SMS. Simply send 'CHAT' to 1889918. More info at
http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilemania/MoChat.asp?blipid=6800

Subject: Re: Draft of the Mock Mainframe Mini-Howto
From: "Binh Nguyen" ####@####.####
Date: 29 Sep 2003 05:17:40 -0000

Scot W. Stevenson wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I have completed a first draft of the Mock Mainframe Mini-Howto, and
> would be most grateful for any comments, corrections, or simple
> feedback from anyone here who could spare some time:
>
> "A brief description of a standard way to set up and work with a
> computer network for a small group of people that is inexpensive to
> build, easy to administer, and relatively safe. It is written for
> users who might not be completely familiar with all of the concepts
> involved."
>
> A HTML version can be found at
>
> http://www.possum.in-berlin.de/scot/mock_mainframe_howto_20030928.html
>
> The text itself is in DocBook XML.
>
> Thank you,
> Y, Scot

Hi Scot,

Only had a cursory glance at the document.

In section "Some background on X."
Maybe a cross reference to LBX HOWTO, DXPC, SSH Tunelling X. Insecurity of
X?

In section "Getting to X from the outside."
Cross reference to GDM or remove that section and refer entirely to XDM
related HOWTOs?

In section "Linux Terminals"
Reference to PXE, NFS-Root HOWTO?

In section "X Server Programs"
Free X server for Windows, Cygwin? (yes, I know that development is rather
non-existent)

In section "Shared Resources"
Create ISO file for CD. Mount to loopback device. Export via NFS. Maybe take
into account general system administration. More cross-referencing....
sigh....

References to clustering?

Well written and doesn't put people to sleep. Congratulations =)

Binh.