discuss: Thread: Help with iso image files under Windows.

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Help with iso image files under Windows.
From: Chris Gehlker ####@####.####
Date: 12 Sep 2003 18:57:22 -0000

I'm writing my first mini-HowTo about installing and running Linux
under Virtual PC. I'm trying to make it apply whether the virtual
computer is hosted on Windows or Mac OS since most of the issues seem
to be the same. I've run into a problem with Windows, though, in that
out of the box it doesn't seem to understand iso image files.  It can
neither burn them nor mount them.

I've been told that on Windows folks address this with third party
utilities but I don't have a feel for whether there is one program that
everyone uses. If I just tell typical Windows users to mount and/or
burn an  iso image will they understand? If I have to step them through
it, is there some, hopefully free, program that I can recommend?

TIA,
Chris

-
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.
-Lewis Carroll, mathematician and writer (1832-1898)

Subject: Re: Help with iso image files under Windows.
From: Mark Garboden ####@####.####
Date: 12 Sep 2003 19:11:29 -0000

The ISO images I have used have been handled by my CD burner SW.  But
there are many different CD burner packages out there.  Most
GNU/Linux/OSS documentation (e.g. Knoppix) just says you have to figure
out how to burn a CD on your own system since they are all different.

You don't mount anything in Windows.   So I think you would just tell
them to insert the disk and access it like normal, but I'm not sure
exactly what context this is in.

Mark

From: Chris Gehlker ####@####.####
Date: 12 Sep 2003 22:13:24 -0000

On Friday, September 12, 2003, at 12:09 PM, Mark Garboden wrote:

> The ISO images I have used have been handled by my CD burner SW.  But
> there are many different CD burner packages out there.  Most
> GNU/Linux/OSS documentation (e.g. Knoppix) just says you have to
> figure out how to burn a CD on your own system since they are all
> different.

Ok. I won't try to educate the Windows folks on how to burn the iso
files.

> You don't mount anything in Windows.   So I think you would just tell
> them to insert the disk and access it like normal, but I'm not sure
> exactly what context this is in.
>
> Mark

"Mount" is probably not the right word. Attach might be better. Let me
provide some context.

On the Mac one can create an iso file, or any hdi file, and can tell
VPC to treat it as a physical drive. Then on the Mac OS side you can
tell the OS to treat the same ISO as a physical drive. It makes for a
very easy way to move files between operating systems.

I was looking for a way to get the same functionality from VPC under
Windows. Some nice person in private mail mentioned Winimage and Elby
CloneCD. That's what I wanted. It looks like CloneCD is a thing of the
past, though.

-

From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 18 Sep 2003 18:14:52 -0000

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the late reply, I'm getting caught up on the mailing list and
saw this from you, so I wanted to quickly say...if you were to mention
Winimage for Windows users I think it would be of great help.  I can
remember back in the day not knowing how to do this from Windows so I
could blow it away and install Linux from that CD (grin), so it may help
readers to know about it.

Just my .02-worth!

Tab

--
Tabatha Marshall
Web: www.merlinmonroe.com

From: Chris Gehlker ####@####.####
Date: 21 Sep 2003 22:21:17 -0000

On Thursday, September 18, 2003, at 11:15 AM, Tabatha Marshall wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> Sorry for the late reply, I'm getting caught up on the mailing list and
> saw this from you, so I wanted to quickly say...if you were to mention
> Winimage for Windows users I think it would be of great help.  I can
> remember back in the day not knowing how to do this from Windows so I
> could blow it away and install Linux from that CD (grin), so it may
> help
> readers to know about it.
>
> Just my .02-worth!

I agree, Winimage is the way to to go. I found this site:
<http://www.linuxiso.org/>  that seems to have a lot of good
information about getting and burning ISOs under Windows.

Too many of the Linux sites seem to take the approach of: DL the image
with wget or cURL, test it with md5sum and burn it with cdrecord.