discuss: Thread: Terminology Base

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 2 [>] [>>]
Subject: Terminology Base
From: "Alexander Voropay" ####@####.####
Date: 25 Apr 2003 19:08:00 -0000

Hi!

 Does anyone know a free multilingual Terminology
Base for UNIX/POSIX terminology ?

 Like:
http://www.uwasa.fi/comm/termino/index.html
http://europa.eu.int/comm/translation/writing/terminology/euro/index_en.htm

=======
 I have a suggestion for TLDP Translation project
http://www.tldp.org/links/nenglish.html
to establish a sub.project : a Terminology Base : to maintain a free
international terminilogy base (at least for POSIX terminology)

 Unfortunately, I know no free software for this...
The commercial tool I found : PROMt Term :
http://www.e-promt.com/service/ling_dop.shtml

--
-=AV=-
Subject: Re: Terminology Base
From: "alpha1429" ####@####.####
Date: 26 Apr 2003 04:49:00 -0000

Hi Alexander,

I must admit that I am currently working on something like this in my spare
time. At the moment I am collecting databases of words from various sources
and stripping those that are not required. I have a few tens of thousands of
words in my collection already and I suppose that maybe I could release it
within the near future to the LDP. However, I must admit that I don't really
have a great understanding of foreign languages. Therefore, any help in
translation of the final document (from anyone) would be fantastic.

Binh.

From: "=?GB2312?Q?=CD=F5=C4=FE?=" ####@####.####
Date: 26 Apr 2003 05:06:39 -0000

Hi Binh,

That's exciting! And translation is never heavy work for free developers around the world.

But how will you organize the word? A dictionary or catalog may be enough for beginners and other users, however, I think conceptual graph or so called Ontology would be another good choice. I have done some work on digital library and information retrieval, and I found it is not very easy obtaining an Ontology of computer. Well, that is something outside the topic.

Best regards,

Ning
####@####.####
Laboratory of Database Systems and Information Systems, Peking University, China

From: "alpha1429" ####@####.####
Date: 26 Apr 2003 05:30:53 -0000

Howdy Ning,

At the moment everything is organised as a text file. ie. meaning then
paragraph explaining the thing. It just makes life easier when I need to run
an automated stripping program that I wrote through it. I suppose this would
make it fairly easy for for someone to write a dictionary program of some
sort for it?

From: Ismael Olea ####@####.####
Date: 15 Jun 2003 17:06:26 -0000

El sáb, 26 de 04 de 2003 a las 06:48, alpha1429 escribió:

Two things:

      * Could you give me an URL to your terminology proposal, please?
      * Please keep an eye on
        http://cvs.hispalinux.es/cgi-bin/cvsweb/rl-dicc

--
        A.Ismael Olea González

        ####@####.####  http://www.olea.org
        http://aduaneros.olea.org, la ONG sin futuro.

        El mundo tiene miedo a un planeta BUSH: No a la guerra.

From: "alpha1429" ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jun 2003 03:59:39 -0000

Ismael Olea wrote:
> El sáb, 26 de 04 de 2003 a las 06:48, alpha1429 escribió:
>
> Two things:
>
>       * Could you give me an URL to your terminology proposal, please?
>       * Please keep an eye on
>         http://cvs.hispalinux.es/cgi-bin/cvsweb/rl-dicc

I'm afraid its in pieces at the moment (different people working on
different sections). I promise I will get the thing together by 1 July. Like
I said before the current problem with it is its size. We are attempting to
remove all duplicates and words which would be considered redundant at the
moment since it it way too big for my liking (we cut back from about one
thousand pages to about eight hundred now). My aim is to get it down to
about three hundred pages and to include words that are only to do with
Linux/POSIX. Future revisions will be done on a word by word basis.

Binh.
From: "Binh Nguyen" ####@####.####
Date: 24 Jun 2003 02:44:47 -0000

Chris Karakas wrote:
> alpha1429 wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone happen to know of a program to sort this thing or will I
>> have to write one myself? Its organised this :-
>>
>> Meaning
>> Few Paragraph Explaination
>>
>> Meaning
>> Few Paragraph Explaination
>>
>> etc....
>
> Looks a perfect exercise in awk (1) to me: the Record Separator (RS)
> is an empty line, the Field Separator (FS) a new line (\n). A record
> contains only two fields. We could extract them with awk, then tell
> awk to write the SQL INSERT commands on the fly, thus creating a file
> that could be directly input to MySQL. You could then start queries,
> removal/merge of double entries etc.
>
> So why are you doing this manually? Even awk can sort it
> alphabetically for you. If you like, send me a piece to play with. :-)
>
> (1)See, for example http://www.canberra.edu.au/~sam/whp/awk-guide.html

Thankyou for the offer but Anothony E. Greene has already taken care of it.
I would like to know of an easy/automated way in which we could update this
thing though because I think that it is highly likely that it will be
rapidly updated once it is out in the public. Just to let people know how
things are going all contributors have now submitted their sections
(although one needs to be resent due to file corruption) so its pretty much
editing from now on.

Binh.
From: "Chris Karakas" ####@####.####
Date: 24 Jun 2003 11:26:18 -0000

Write a Web interface to MySQL in PHP. Or, do you rather think in terms of something
like Wikipedia? http://www.wikipedia.org/

Binh Nguyen ####@####.#### schrieb:

>I would like to know of an easy/automated way in which we could update this
>thing though because I think that it is highly likely that it will be
>rapidly updated once it is out in the public. Just to let people know how
>things are going all contributors have now submitted their sections
>(although one needs to be resent due to file corruption) so its pretty much
>editing from now on.
>
>Binh.
>
>______________________
>http://lists.tldp.org/

Regards

Chris Karakas
http://www.karakas-online.de

From: "Binh Nguyen" ####@####.####
Date: 24 Jun 2003 14:06:00 -0000

I was looking along those lines but I've never done anything Wiki like.
Conceptually, it sounds quite brilliant and I'm very much slanting towards
that approach at the moment. Any idea of how difficult is it to get
something like that working?

Binh.

From: "Chris Karakas" ####@####.####
Date: 25 Jun 2003 00:45:31 -0000

No, I didn't try it myself. I guess installation is not as difficult as running
(i.e., checking every 5 minutes if some idiot erased your nice dictionary entry
#xxx). But perhaps somebody else can tell us from experience...