discuss: Thread: re gnu linux tools summary -- can anyone think of a better name?

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: re gnu linux tools summary -- can anyone think of a better name?
From: "Guru -" ####@####.####
Date: 1 Jul 2003 07:06:37 -0000

Hi everyone.
This message is in regard to my document, the GNU/Linux Tools Summary HOWTO.
Currently the name is a little long (although I consider it very
descriptive) so I would like to ask whether anyone has sugestions with
shorter names.

Here is the abstract from the document:
"This document is an attempt to provide a comprehensive summary of useful
command line tools available to a GNU/Linux based operating system. This
document is not a comprehensive list of every existent tool available to a
GNU/Linux based system, nor does it have in-depth explanations of how things
work. It is a summary which can be used to learn about and how to use many
of the tools available to a GNU/Linux based operating system."

The document is being hosted by Chris Karakas (who converted it to SGML and
worked on the CSS file to make the HTML look cool), it's online here:
http://www.karakas-online.de/gnu-linux-tools-summary/t1.html

If you can suggest a shorter but still descriptive name please send me a
message.
Note that the name needs to be descriptive so something like "Linux
Commands" is not acceptable to me....

Thanks
Gareth

http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=174&referral=Hotmail_taglines_plain&URL=http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilemania/default.asp

From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 10 Jul 2003 01:00:51 -0000

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 05:06:09PM +1000, Guru - wrote:
> Hi everyone.
> This message is in regard to my document, the GNU/Linux Tools Summary HOWTO.
> Currently the name is a little long (although I consider it very
> descriptive) so I would like to ask whether anyone has sugestions with
> shorter names.
>
> Here is the abstract from the document:
> "This document is an attempt to provide a comprehensive summary of useful
> command line tools available to a GNU/Linux based operating system. This
> document is not a comprehensive list of every existent tool available to a
> GNU/Linux based system, nor does it have in-depth explanations of how
> things work. It is a summary which can be used to learn about and how to
> use many of the tools available to a GNU/Linux based operating system."
>
> The document is being hosted by Chris Karakas (who converted it to SGML and
> worked on the CSS file to make the HTML look cool), it's online here:
> http://www.karakas-online.de/gnu-linux-tools-summary/t1.html
>
> If you can suggest a shorter but still descriptive name please send me a
> message.
> Note that the name needs to be descriptive so something like "Linux
> Commands" is not acceptable to me....

Tools includes interactive programs which are not "command line".  So
I think "Commands" is the best title.  "Command-Line-Tools" is long, but
better than "Tools Summary".

			David Lawyer
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 10 Jul 2003 04:53:44 -0000

On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 15:19, David Lawyer wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 05:06:09PM +1000, Guru - wrote:
> > If you can suggest a shorter but still descriptive name please send me a
> > message.
> > Note that the name needs to be descriptive so something like "Linux
> > Commands" is not acceptable to me....
>
> Tools includes interactive programs which are not "command line".  So
> I think "Commands" is the best title.  "Command-Line-Tools" is long, but
> better than "Tools Summary".

I think it should not show both Summary *and* HOWTO in the title, but
Summary does seem more appropriate.

What about "Summary of GNU Linux Command-Line Tools"?

--
Tabatha Marshall
Web: www.merlinmonroe.com

From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 10 Jul 2003 06:54:49 -0000

sorry, I didn't follow this thread till the beginning. I just see now in
the draft document it uses scripts to make docbook correct documents
from LyX.

are theses scripts widely usable? where one can find them?

The document is very well formated (sorry again, I can't say about the
content - too long a reading)

thanks
jdd

From: "Chris Karakas" ####@####.####
Date: 10 Jul 2003 10:21:57 -0000

> sorry, I didn't follow this thread till the beginning. I just see now in
> the draft document it uses scripts to make docbook correct documents
> from LyX.

Right. ;-)

> are theses scripts widely usable? where one can find them?

I wrote them. There is a main script, then there are some (moderately elaborate) sed
and awk scripts. You press the button, they do the rest - of course only if the
whole TeX, LaTeX, Openjade, DocBook etc. machinery is already installed.

They are not yet publicly available - BUT: Give me 2 weeks time and they will be
:-). I am currently writing the description to those scripts and, I must say, it has
been an undertaking without precedence for me (taking into account that we are
talking about a few scripts): I am at 105 pages and still have to describe the
Bibliography part...

I will be offline for 5 days, I hope as soon as I return I will be able to finish
the document within a week or so.

Without a description of what is going on,  you will be lost, so I am reluctant to
release them without one.

> The document is very well formated

Thanks - did you look at all the formats or only the HTML?

> (sorry again, I can't say about the
> content - too long a reading)

Be mentally prepared: you will *have* to read the document on my scripts, if you
want to use them, and it is just as long a reading - even longer! :-D (O.K., just
kidding a little, you will not need to read that much to *use* them, only if you
also want to *understand* them).

Regards

Chris Karakas
http://www.karakas-online.de