discuss: Thread: Linux dictionary

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 2 [>] [>>]
Subject: Linux dictionary
From: Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.####
Date: 23 Jul 2003 18:18:15 -0000

It looks great guys, congrats!! One tiny suggestion: can you add
id="letter" to the sections so that the URLs look like this:
	http://tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Dictionary/html/h.html

instead of:
	http://tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Dictionary/html/g12246.html

*is very impressed*

emma :)

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 23 Jul 2003 19:29:06 -0000

I'm equally as impressed.  Wow, Binh, that must have been quite a job!

This document is definitely *newsworthy*!

Tab

--
Tabatha Marshall
Web: www.merlinmonroe.com

From: Machtelt Garrels ####@####.####
Date: 23 Jul 2003 21:14:09 -0000

From: "Binh Nguyen" ####@####.####
Date: 24 Jul 2003 04:39:32 -0000

Tabatha Marshall wrote:
> I'm equally as impressed.  Wow, Binh, that must have been quite a job!

You better believe it! :) I think most people thought that I was never going
to follow through with it. I couldn't find too many people who were willing
to help me edit the thing (except Sam of course for whom I am eternally
greatful for his existence) but I think that has more to do with the size of
the project than anything. I admit that there were a couple of times during
editing  that I thought I was going to go over the edge and wanted to just
cut and slash the thing so that it wouldn't be so big. Anyway, I can't wait
until Martin gets the online database going (hint, hint, nudge, nudge, wink,
wink :-)). How's it going  Martin? :P

Thanks everyone,
Binh.
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 24 Jul 2003 08:04:03 -0000

is that in any way related to the "jargon" or the french one:

 > http://www.linux-france.org/prj/jargonf/

?

jdd

--
<http://www.dodin.net>
Formation Linux débutants open

From: "Binh Nguyen" ####@####.####
Date: 24 Jul 2003 11:23:39 -0000

> is that in any way related to the "jargon" or the french one:
>

>  > http://www.linux-france.org/prj/jargonf/
>
> ?
>
> jdd

The entries in this dictionary are only related to Linux and if you're
wondering I did go through the entire 'Jargon' dictionary (as well as a heck
of a lot of other sites/books) looking for definitions but I must admit that
I had to throw out quite a lot. I have had a quick look through the French
dictionary but it seems a bit too general. Nonetheless, I will attempt to
collaborate with other similar projects once the database goes online.

Binh.
From: "M. Leo Cooper" ####@####.####
Date: 24 Jul 2003 18:35:30 -0000

Comment: This is an excellent document and a wonderful addition to the LDP
         repertoire.

Suggestion: For the next update, you might want to consider adding links to
            certain entries to the appropriate LDP documents that deal with
	    the item being defined.

From: Martin WHEELER ####@####.####
Date: 24 Jul 2003 23:52:20 -0000

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Binh Nguyen wrote:

> Tabatha Marshall wrote:
> > I'm equally as impressed.  Wow, Binh, that must have been quite a job!
>
> cut and slash the thing so that it wouldn't be so big. Anyway, I can't wait
> until Martin gets the online database going (hint, hint, nudge, nudge, wink,
> wink :-)). How's it going  Martin? :P

Whoa, whoa, whoa there !

I'm only just getting used to seeing myself promoted as database
maintainer in a brand new publication!  (Where did that come from, so
suddenly?)

I would respectfully remind folks that:
 a) this is a 'spare' time activity for me;  and
 b) I have a wife and a _Real Life_ outside LDP !
 c) I've only been involved in this for 24 hours or so - haven't I?
    (It's beginning to feel like a lot more.)

Having said that -- the database has been online since last night
(Wed.); I first had to do a lot of hand massaging of the the data I
unpacked from the tarball you sent me Binh, to get it into the shape I
wanted to import it into MySQL.  (I only wanted terms and definitions.)

However, I've now split the term/definition data into thirty-odd tables
(the single data file was too big to import as one unit), following the
letter break-up and ASCII-alpha sort already adopted (i.e. Az.. precedes
aa..); but this is immaterial, as any type of sort can be made from the
database, once the data is in there.
(And I've now almost finished.  All 8900~ items.)

Each table has three fields -- glossterm; glossdef; attribution;
and the whole is editable online by approved dictionary editors at:

     http://startext.demon.co.uk/phpmyadmin/

which currently lives on my desk here at home.  Once we've got the setup
a little more polished, I'll move it all over to a faster machine
attached to a fatter pipe -- at the moment, we're just playing.  (And
it's only 24 hours old!)

Binh -- I've sent you a userID and password by separate e-mail -- could
you let me have a list of names and e-mail addresses of those you'ld
like to join you in co-editing, and then you can all start playing
whilst I get the XML/SGML generator and keyword-search pages written.
(Although if you know how to drive phpmyadmin, you can do any sort of
search you want -- as an editor.  You can even pull down the data to
your own site and post-process it there in any way you want, once you've
got access to the raw data.)  It's going to be a little while before we
can hitch it up to generating the markup for the LDP, so please don't
start hassling me for a complete publishing system *just* yet!

And anyway, I've still got a few tables to import.

Cheers,
####@####.####                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/

From: ####@####.####
Date: 25 Jul 2003 00:06:36 -0000

hmmm. I have a cocoon XML publishing server @
http://www.xml-dev.com:8080/cocoon/mount/docbook/ . And it is capable of
retrieving Data from mySQL as well.

In Peace,
Saqib Ali

                      Martin WHEELER
                      <mwheeler@startex        To:       Binh Nguyen ####@####.####
                      t.co.uk>                 cc:       ####@####.####
                      No Phone Info            Subject:  Re: Linux dictionary
                      Available

                      07/24/2003 04:54
                      PM

______________________
http://lists.tldp.org/

From: ####@####.####
Date: 25 Jul 2003 00:15:55 -0000

Oh by the way, I forgot to mention that data from database can be imported
in to a XML document, and then Cocoon can publish in various formats (PDF,
HTML etc)...

In Peace,
Saqib Ali

                      Saqib.N.Ali@seaga