discuss: Thread: Re: sgml question

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: sgml question
From: sebastien ####@####.####
Date: 18 Apr 2002 08:43:08 -0000

ok sorry I found it,
in case others would be interested, you need to replace the & by &amp;
seb

Subject: sgml question
From: sebastien ####@####.####
Date: 18 Apr 2002 09:54:37 -0000

hi
Somebody wrote a contribution for my howto, and he had this problem:

> Please note that in the links sections there are 2 links that are
> commented out, because I couldn't figure it out how to add links with & on
> the URL, if you do please fix it.

<itemize>
  <item><htmlurl url="http://www.ecsusa.com/ecsusa/www.ecs.com.tw/download/bios.htm" name="Elite Group (new BIOS)">
  <item><htmlurl url="http://forum.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=27" name="Overclockers Work Bench">
  <item><htmlurl url="http://forum.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=001477" name="ECS K7s5a FAQ">
</itemize>

and when I try to pass it through sgml2html:
Processing file howto-K7s5a.sgml
/usr/bin/nsgmls:<OSFD>0:307:80:E: general entity "f" not defined and no default entity
/usr/bin/nsgmls:<OSFD>0:308:88:E: general entity "t" not defined and no default entity

it looks like the & causes problems, could anyone tell me how to fix that?
thanks
seb

From: Howard Shane ####@####.####
Date: 13 Jul 2003 03:51:13 -0000

Hi all,
I am rewriting some of my docs and noticed that just like XML, SGML
allows tags like the following:

<note></note>
<tip></tip>
<warning></warning>

...but when I process my doc with docbook2html I get only a text
placeholder like 'note' instead of the neat little pointing-hand gif
that shows up in everybody else's published doc. My source docs process
without errors and the syntax I use with these tags is identical to
other SGML source files from CVS I've examined. What am I missing here?

Thanks for any answers to this noob-esque question.

hs

From: David Horton ####@####.####
Date: 13 Jul 2003 14:04:24 -0000

Howard Shane wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am rewriting some of my docs and noticed that just like XML, SGML
> allows tags like the following:
>
> <note></note>
> <tip></tip>
> <warning></warning>
>
> ...but when I process my doc with docbook2html I get only a text
> placeholder like 'note' instead of the neat little pointing-hand gif
> that shows up in everybody else's published doc. My source docs process
> without errors and the syntax I use with these tags is identical to
> other SGML source files from CVS I've examined. What am I missing here?
>
> Thanks for any answers to this noob-esque question.
>
> hs

Howard,

I don't think you're missing anything in your sources.  The reason you
are not getting graphics probably has to do with the transformation
process.  I have not used docbook2html, but I'm assuming it uses a
stylesheet similar to DocbookXML to HTML transforms.  With XML there is
a way to switch graphics on or off, specify the path to graphics, et
cetera.  This is done by setting parameters in the XSL stylesheet.  The
XSL parameters are:

<xsl:param name="admon.graphics" select="0"/>
<xsl:param name="admon.graphics.path">images/</xsl:param>
<xsl:param name="graphic.default.extension" select="'.gif'"/>

By changing the '0' to a '1' in the line with 'name="admon.graphics"' it
will switch on graphics for warnings, tips & notes.

I'm not very familiar with SGML, but I would assume that if you search
the DSSSL stylesheets for similarly named parameters that you would find
the way to turn on graphics.

Hope it helps.

Dave

P.S. There is also a TLDP list for Docbook specific questions at
####@####.####

From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 14 Jul 2003 06:20:14 -0000

On Sun, 2003-07-13 at 07:11, David Horton wrote:
> Howard Shane wrote:
> > ...but when I process my doc with docbook2html I get only a text
> > placeholder like 'note' instead of the neat little pointing-hand gif
> > that shows up in everybody else's published doc. My source docs process
> > without errors and the syntax I use with these tags is identical to
> > other SGML source files from CVS I've examined. What am I missing here?
> >
> I don't think you're missing anything in your sources.  The reason you
> are not getting graphics probably has to do with the transformation
> process.  I have not used docbook2html, but I'm assuming it uses a
> stylesheet similar to DocbookXML to HTML transforms.  With XML there is
> a way to switch graphics on or off, specify the path to graphics, et
> cetera.  This is done by setting parameters in the XSL stylesheet.  The
> XSL parameters are:
>
> <xsl:param name="admon.graphics" select="0"/>
> <xsl:param name="admon.graphics.path">images/</xsl:param>
> <xsl:param name="graphic.default.extension" select="'.gif'"/>
>
> By changing the '0' to a '1' in the line with 'name="admon.graphics"' it
> will switch on graphics for warnings, tips & notes.
>
> I'm not very familiar with SGML, but I would assume that if you search
> the DSSSL stylesheets for similarly named parameters that you would find
> the way to turn on graphics.

If you're using the ldp.dsl, you need to change:

(define %admon-graphics%
  ;; Use graphics in admonitions?
  #f)

Replace the "f" to "t".  It's the same with docbook.dsl, so if you're
processing with Openjade, that will make sure they show up.

I also found in the ldp.dsl:

(define %admon-graphics-path%
  ;; use graphics in admonitions, set their
  "../images/")

(define %admon-graphics%
  #t)

...and...

(define %graphic-extensions%
  ;; graphic extensions allowed
  '("gif" "png" "jpg" "jpeg" "tif" "tiff" "eps" "epsf" ))

(define %graphic-default-extension%
  "gif")

Hope that helps, whichever stylesheet and processing tool you are using!

Tab

--
Tabatha Marshall
Web: www.merlinmonroe.com

From: Howard Shane ####@####.####
Date: 14 Jul 2003 13:34:44 -0000

Thanks Tab, and sorry to everybody for spammin' the list, I forgot there
was a separate mailing list for docbook questions *cancels morning
schedule to engage in earnest self-flagellation*