discuss: Thread: XML

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 2 [>] [>>]
Subject: XML
From: Gerardo Arnaez ####@####.####
Date: 11 Jul 2003 22:41:26 -0000

Hi all.

Since it appears xml is becoming more accepted as the
standard, I have been trying to find some stuff in
tldp.org on xml, but what I seem to only see is sgml.
I went ahead and wrote a small how to (for myself)
and can not see the big difference between xml and
sgml when writing docs

I have read the section on xml differenced from sgml
in the tldp.org, but have a hard time believeing thats
it.
Is there any other place to look for this?

Thanks

http://sbc.yahoo.com
Subject: Re: XML
From: Morgon Kanter ####@####.####
Date: 11 Jul 2003 22:58:58 -0000

This one time, at band camp, Gerardo Arnaez ####@####.#### wrote:
> I went ahead and wrote a small how to (for myself)
> and can not see the big difference between xml and
> sgml when writing docs

The reason you can't see a big difference is because there is none.
XML just doesn't allow you to take any of the obfuscated shortcuts
that SGML does (not allowing these is a Good Thing). EG, you can't do
<para>Yo</>.

Morgon
--
"Man is the only creature capable of hating itself" -- Governor of Japan
in The End of Evangelion
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 12 Jul 2003 01:08:02 -0000

On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 15:58, Morgon Kanter wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Gerardo Arnaez ####@####.#### wrote:
> > I went ahead and wrote a small how to (for myself)
> > and can not see the big difference between xml and
> > sgml when writing docs
>
> The reason you can't see a big difference is because there is none.
> XML just doesn't allow you to take any of the obfuscated shortcuts
> that SGML does (not allowing these is a Good Thing). EG, you can't do
> <para>Yo</>.

Right, and with a few differences in the first couple of lines, it
really is the same.  For DocBook, anyway.  I can usually take just about
any DocBook SGML file, just change the top couple of lines, save as XML
and have it parse perfectly.

--
Tabatha Marshall
Web: www.merlinmonroe.com

From: Gerardo Arnaez ####@####.####
Date: 12 Jul 2003 01:44:16 -0000

Speaking of parse.
I run debian and sued to be able to jsut sgmltool
file.sgml and get a html files

what do I need to get xml into html?

http://sbc.yahoo.com
From: Morgon Kanter ####@####.####
Date: 12 Jul 2003 01:48:23 -0000

That took me a few seconds to figure out what you were asking...

> Speaking of parse.
> I run debian and sued to be able to jsut sgmltool
> file.sgml and get a html files
>
> what do I need to get xml into html?

An XSLT processor and the XSL styesheets. Just do:
# apt-get install xsltproc docbook-xsl
man xsltproc

To stop the damn thing from downloading the DTD every time (Debian
will have XML catalogs ready Real Soon Now), do:
export SGML_CATALOG_FILES=/etc/sgml/catalog
xsltproc --catalog

Morgon
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 12 Jul 2003 02:09:30 -0000

On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 18:44, Gerardo Arnaez wrote:
> Speaking of parse.
> I run debian and sued to be able to jsut sgmltool
> file.sgml and get a html files
>
> what do I need to get xml into html?

Well, you can try Morgon Kanter's suggestion, or you can also use
Openjade with the dsl (DSSSL) stylesheets.

Before RH8 came along, I always followed Jim Weller's DocBook XML
Quickstart Guide (www.jimweller.net).  His info was the one that always
got me up and running quickly until this distro finally got authoring
tools right!

From: Morgon Kanter ####@####.####
Date: 12 Jul 2003 02:35:38 -0000

This one time, at band camp, Tabatha Marshall ####@####.#### wrote:
> Well, you can try Morgon Kanter's suggestion, or you can also use
> Openjade with the dsl (DSSSL) stylesheets.

Openjade seems to be what everyone uses, but nobody likes (or am I wrong
here? I've just never found anyone who particularly liked it).

I'm not entirely sure (because I haven't tried), but it seems that
xsltproc can handle Docbook SGML (and apparantly appling XSL
transformations to it, or at least that's what I'm reading this as).
From man xsltproc:
--docbook
      The  input  document  is  DocBook SGML. Do not use the --docbook
      option of xsltproc to process XML DocBook documents, this option
      is  only  intended to provide some (limited) support of the SGML
      version of DocBook.

Morgon
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 12 Jul 2003 03:12:15 -0000

On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 19:34, Morgon Kanter wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Tabatha Marshall ####@####.#### wrote:
> > Well, you can try Morgon Kanter's suggestion, or you can also use
> > Openjade with the dsl (DSSSL) stylesheets.
>
> Openjade seems to be what everyone uses, but nobody likes (or am I wrong
> here? I've just never found anyone who particularly liked it).

Yeah, I'd agree with that from my own experience.  Problem is, I went
through so much learning Openjade, that the one time I took a look at
xsltproc, I think my subconscious refused to let it in!

> I'm not entirely sure (because I haven't tried), but it seems that
> xsltproc can handle Docbook SGML (and apparantly appling XSL
> transformations to it, or at least that's what I'm reading this as).
> >From man xsltproc:
> --docbook
>       The  input  document  is  DocBook SGML. Do not use the --docbook
>       option of xsltproc to process XML DocBook documents, this option
>       is  only  intended to provide some (limited) support of the SGML
>       version of DocBook.

One day with a little spare time on my hand I'll give it another try.
For a while there, it was just easier to go with what I knew - I had too
many reviews to complete and needed to process as fast as I could.  With
more reviewers on board, it gives me more experimentation time.

From: Greg Ferguson ####@####.####
Date: 12 Jul 2003 03:13:29 -0000

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:34:51 -0400 Morgon Kanter ####@####.#### wrote:

> This one time, at band camp, Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
> wrote:
> > Well, you can try Morgon Kanter's suggestion, or you can also use
> > Openjade with the dsl (DSSSL) stylesheets.
>
> Openjade seems to be what everyone uses, but nobody likes (or am I wrong
> here? I've just never found anyone who particularly liked it).

I'm ok with it. It does the job just fine. Not particularly great
performance, but... Oh, and DSSSL is not the easiest thing to learn.
I think that's why it turns off a lot of folks.

> I'm not entirely sure (because I haven't tried), but it seems that
> xsltproc can handle Docbook SGML (and apparantly appling XSL
> transformations to it, or at least that's what I'm reading this as).
> From man xsltproc:
> --docbook
>       The  input  document  is  DocBook SGML. Do not use the --docbook
>       option of xsltproc to process XML DocBook documents, this option
>       is  only  intended to provide some (limited) support of the SGML
>       version of DocBook.

See the phrase "limited support"...that's indeed what you get (at least
the last time I tried it).

--
Greg

From: David Horton ####@####.####
Date: 12 Jul 2003 03:22:13 -0000

Morgon Kanter wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Tabatha Marshall ####@####.#### wrote:
>
>>Well, you can try Morgon Kanter's suggestion, or you can also use
>>Openjade with the dsl (DSSSL) stylesheets.
>

> Openjade seems to be what everyone uses, but nobody likes (or am I wrong
> here? I've just never found anyone who particularly liked it).

<plug type="shameless">
Try the new and improved tldp-xsl stylesheets with Saxon or XSLTproc.
The package's readme.html file describes how to get going quickly.
</plug>

Dave