discuss: Thread: A Linux Wireless Access Point Howto

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: A Linux Wireless Access Point Howto
From: Simon Anderson ####@####.####
Date: 7 Jul 2003 04:32:54 -0000

Hi,

I have been putting together a HOWTO for a Linux Wireless Access Point and
wonder if it might be suitable for inclusion in TLDP.

It is a work in progress and the end-to-end testing is yet to be
completed. I understand that I will need to alter the formatting to meet
tldp.org's specifications.

I have made a number of wireless groups and document authors aware of my
work in the interests of peer review and so far the feedback has been
complementary. I look forward to further feedback from tldp.org and other
interested parties.

The draft is available here;

http://oob.freeshell.org/nzwireless/LWAP-HOWTO.html

Regards,
Simon.

Subject: Re: A Linux Wireless Access Point Howto
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 7 Jul 2003 11:16:41 -0000

Hi Simon,

Sounds interesting.  Be sure to check out similar documents at
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/hardware.html#HWWIRELESS though,
to make sure.  You may want to let folks know how this differs from
what's already in the collection if you've already checked them out.

So you may have already done this, but I wanted to make sure!

Tabatha

--
Tabatha Marshall
Web: www.merlinmonroe.com

From: Simon Anderson ####@####.####
Date: 8 Jul 2003 00:55:20 -0000

The Linux Wireless Access Point document I have written shares little with
the pre-existing documents at tldp.org. I don't think that there is much
if any cross over and little scope for integration.

A month ago I informed the authors of "Wireless Howto" (Roberto
Arcomano) and "Link-sys WPC11 Mini-HOWTO" (Gerardo
Arnaez) of my work. The former is a somewhat dated document describing
some methods for configuring a Linux wireless client and the later is
concerned with the client configuration for a particular wifi card.

In comparison, the HOWTO I have written is about configuring Linux to act
as an Access Point and integrate with an existing wired and wireless
infrastructure.

-Simon.

From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 8 Jul 2003 01:34:02 -0000

>From what I saw of your document via the link, it looks very good!  I
wouldn't mind seeing some technical feedback on this doc.

In your abstract you mention that some content is specific to
NZ-wireless.  Forgive me, I don't know what that is, could you explain?

If it's not an obvious term, it could help to clarify that with a short
definition.  Or am I missing something really simple?  :D

Tabatha

From: Simon Anderson ####@####.####
Date: 8 Jul 2003 01:42:09 -0000

NZWireless is shorhand for "New Zealand Wireless" a community wireless
project, which I think is described in the introduction.

Integrating with  a community wireless project is covered in the howto
extensively, as I assume that such integration is a goal for most people
building a Linux AP.

-Simon.

On 7 Jul 2003, Tabatha Marshall wrote:

> >From what I saw of your document via the link, it looks very good!  I
> wouldn't mind seeing some technical feedback on this doc.
>
> In your abstract you mention that some content is specific to
> NZ-wireless.  Forgive me, I don't know what that is, could you explain?
>
> If it's not an obvious term, it could help to clarify that with a short
> definition.  Or am I missing something really simple?  :D
>
> Tabatha
>
> On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 18:13, Simon Anderson wrote:
> > The Linux Wireless Access Point document I have written shares little with
> > the pre-existing documents at tldp.org. I don't think that there is much
> > if any cross over and little scope for integration.
> >
> > A month ago I informed the authors of "Wireless Howto" (Roberto
> > Arcomano) and "Link-sys WPC11 Mini-HOWTO" (Gerardo
> > Arnaez) of my work. The former is a somewhat dated document describing
> > some methods for configuring a Linux wireless client and the later is
> > concerned with the client configuration for a particular wifi card.
> >
> > In comparison, the HOWTO I have written is about configuring Linux to act
> > as an Access Point and integrate with an existing wired and wireless
> > infrastructure.
> >
> > -Simon.
> >

> > On 7 Jul 2003, Tabatha Marshall wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Simon,
> > >
> > > Sounds interesting.  Be sure to check out similar documents at
> > > http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/hardware.html#HWWIRELESS though,
> > > to make sure.  You may want to let folks know how this differs from
> > > what's already in the collection if you've already checked them out.
> > >
> > > So you may have already done this, but I wanted to make sure!
> > >
> > > Tabatha

> > ______________________
> > http://lists.tldp.org/

Simon Robert Anderson		Mo: +64 (0) 21 891 826

From: Gerardo Arnaez ####@####.####
Date: 8 Jul 2003 03:20:10 -0000

I have to agree that my mini-how-to is very specific.
Having looked at Anderson's how-to I think it should
form its own how- to for now.

On a larger note. there seems to be an inertia here to
removing or modifying old how-to's, esp the very old
ones, that could definitely stand to modified. There
just seem to be too many hoops to jump through before
a modification of someone's how-to is.  Esp if that
someone one is no longer reachable.  I didnt really
see a clear consensus on this.

http://sbc.yahoo.com
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 8 Jul 2003 05:34:37 -0000

Excellent, thanks for the clarification!

I guess this is debatable, but I wouldn't mind seeing the "longhand" of
that in the abstract.  It may help a reader who has found the doc
without having to navigate through it - just a bit of a time-saver.

Only a suggestion...take it or leave it!  :D

Tabatha