discuss: Thread: Proposal: Sybase ASE / SQL Server HOWTO

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Proposal: Sybase ASE / SQL Server HOWTO
From: Kian Spongsveen ####@####.####
Date: 11 Jul 2003 18:51:56 -0000

There are HOWTOs for several commercial relational databases available; DB2,
Oracle (several versions), Sybase ASA.
I'm planning to write a HOWTO on Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise / SQL
Server. There are various versions available with different licensing etc.
(none open source, but both "free as in beer" and developer versions), I'll
get that covered in the doc.
It should contain installation and the first steps of basic usage, with
real-world known problems you could hit during installation. Also links /
pointers to further information.
I expect to have an initial suggestion for an outline of the doc quite soon.

The title will be:
"Sybase ASE / SQL Server HOWTO"

Regards,

Kian Spongsveen
Subject: Re: Proposal: Sybase ASE / SQL Server HOWTO
From: Greg Ferguson ####@####.####
Date: 11 Jul 2003 20:48:34 -0000

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 20:57:08 +0200 Kian Spongsveen ####@####.#### wrote:

> I'm planning to write a HOWTO on Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise / SQL
> Server. There are various versions available with different licensing
> etc.
> I expect to have an initial suggestion for an outline of the doc quite
> soon.
>
> The title will be:
> "Sybase ASE / SQL Server HOWTO"

Sounds reasonable. I added this to our list of
works "in progress" - http://tldp.org/authors/inprogress.html

Let me/us know when you have a draft available.

Here are some pointers to help you get started:

  Start with the LDP Author Guide:

    http://tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/

  In our "author's resources" area:

    http://tldp.org/authors/#resources

  there are pointers to various helpful documents/books including:

   DocBook: The Definitive Guide, by Norman Walsh and Leonard Muellner
   http://docbook.org/tdg/en/html/docbook.html

   DocBook XML/SGML Processing Using OpenJade, by Saqib Ali
   http://tldp.org/HOWTO/DocBook-OpenJade-SGML-XML-HOWTO/

   DocBook Install mini-HOWTO, by Robert B Easter
   http://tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/DocBook-Install/

  and there also pointers to downloadable template files for
  HOWTOs (in DocBook SGML/XML and Linuxdoc SGML).

--
Greg