discuss: Thread: Docbook, Xml, Jade etc.

[<<] [<] Page 5 of 5 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: Docbook, Xml, Jade etc.
From: Morgon Kanter ####@####.####
Date: 29 Jul 2003 20:03:00 -0000

> > > This brings me to a idea:
> > > What about creating a rpm and deb package for the tools?

Deb packages...
apt-get install docbook-xml docbook-xsl xsltproc

And you're done :p

Morgon
--
"Man is the only creature capable of hating itself" -- Governor of Japan
in The End of Evangelion
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 29 Jul 2003 20:58:44 -0000

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 04:15:25PM +0000, Chris Karakas wrote:
> In 20 years from now, when nobody will be using HTML
I don't think so.  Someone might have predicted years ago that HTML
would replace plain text but it hasn't.
> when Adobe will be bankrupt (and with it the PDF and PS formats will
> be defunct), when "Word 2023" will tell you "Sorry, this RTF format is
> too old, I can't read it" - then I will ask you to print only those
> paragraphs of your document that contain a citation of the 10th
> bibliographic entry of your bibliography. With the "semantic Web"
> being a reality by then, this will be trivial to do with the SGML/XML
> version of your document. But, since "everyone reads HOWTO's in html
> anyway", you will have written it in HTML, a presentational markup of
> the last century, a markup unable to tell if a "10" refers to the font
> size or the 10th item of a list, and you will be unable to answer my
> (and "everyone's" by that time) simple query which I will have entered
> in a search engine.

Finding the places in a doc which cite a certain bibliographic entry is
easy, provided that the author has assigned that reference a unique id
(in LinuxDoc or DocBook).  For example I might use the id="pins_".  HTML
will use the same id but call it NAME="pins_".  Then in the vi editor,
you put the cursor on pins_, type *, and it finds a bibliographic entry
that is labeled pins_.  grep can do something similar.  So what you
propose for 2023 is already here today.  And it doen't require DocBook.

Even if one used the id="10" one could still search for it since other
10s will not have id (or NAME in HTML) in front of them.  This requires
searching source which browsers can do.

> This may not be important to you, as it is currently not important to
> the authors of many millions HTML pages - but it is important to TLDP
> which, as an institution, is concerned about longevity of the
> documents it invests so much effort to publish.

Just the opposite (sort of) is true.  Our old documents are mostly
obsolete and we are concerned about them not being updated.

> By the way, by far not "everyone" reads HOWTOs (or whatever for that
> matter) in HTML. I am one of the few that read *all* documents online,
> on the screen, and (consequently) I "read HOWTOS in HTML". Me and a
> few others (who I still have to meet) are not everyone: the vast
> majority of the people I know prefer to *print* the document and then
> really read it (as opposed to just skim it).

This is a big waste of paper.  I think that most people mostly read
stuff on their PC screens, either offline or online.

Regarding the sematic web.  I don't think that the tags contribute all
that much to sematic understanding.

			David Lawyer
From: Wolfgang Fuschlberger ####@####.####
Date: 29 Jul 2003 21:28:42 -0000

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Morgon Kanter wrote:

> Deb packages...
> apt-get install docbook-xml docbook-xsl xsltproc
>
> And you're done :p

Might there be missing one of the following?

wolfgang@w:>~<:>dpkg --get-selections |grep ldp
ldp-docbook-dsssl                               install
ldp-docbook-xsl                                 install

I don't know for sure, I installed this and that and finally everything was
working...

wolfgang

From: Morgon Kanter ####@####.####
Date: 29 Jul 2003 22:47:38 -0000

This one time, at band camp, Wolfgang Fuschlberger ####@####.#### wrote:

> > Deb packages...
> > apt-get install docbook-xml docbook-xsl xsltproc
> >
> > And you're done :p
>
> Might there be missing one of the following?
>
> wolfgang@w:>~<:>dpkg --get-selections |grep ldp
> ldp-docbook-dsssl                               install
> ldp-docbook-xsl                                 install

I _knew_ I was forgetting something :p
You don't need them though, they only make slight changes to the
regular stylesheets (if it looks bad in the regular stylesheets, it'll
look bad in those too :p).

Morgon
From: Owen ####@####.####
Date: 30 Jul 2003 06:40:27 -0000

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 21:39:16 -0700
David Lawyer ####@####.#### wrote:

> www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/Howtos-with-LinuxDoc.
>
> I think there should be a link to it on p.1 of the author guide.

mmmm   only half of 808 there

Owen

From: "Martin A. Brown" ####@####.####
Date: 30 Jul 2003 06:50:24 -0000

 : > www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/Howtos-with-LinuxDoc.
 : > I think there should be a link to it on p.1 of the author guide.
 :
 : mmmm   only half of 808 there

That's strange.  I got twice 202.

-Martin
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 30 Jul 2003 08:52:04 -0000

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 04:37:04PM +1000, Owen wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 21:39:16 -0700
> David Lawyer ####@####.#### wrote:
>

> > www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/Howtos-with-LinuxDoc.
> >
> > I think there should be a link to it on p.1 of the author guide.
>

> mmmm   only half of 808 there

Sorry, the minis have been merged and I gave the old url.
Here's the new url:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Howtos-with-LinuxDoc.html
			David Lawyer
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 3 Aug 2003 22:20:15 -0000

Just some tangential food for thought...

David Lawyer wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 04:15:25PM +0000, Chris Karakas wrote:
>
>>In 20 years from now, when nobody will be using HTML
>>
> I don't think so.  Someone might have predicted years ago that HTML
> would replace plain text but it hasn't.

[snip]

>>By the way, by far not "everyone" reads HOWTOs (or whatever for that
>>matter) in HTML. I am one of the few that read *all* documents online,
>>on the screen, and (consequently) I "read HOWTOS in HTML". Me and a
>>few others (who I still have to meet) are not everyone: the vast
>>majority of the people I know prefer to *print* the document and then
>>really read it (as opposed to just skim it).
>
> This is a big waste of paper.  I think that most people mostly read
> stuff on their PC screens, either offline or online.

 From what I hear this is to a large extent a question of age; the
younger generation apparently prefers reading on-screen to take
advantage of searching, bookmarking and other functions. Strangely
adding annotations seems to be a little used function. One might
hypothesise that exposure to incoherent TV makes for nonlinear
reading habits...

While I too like reading the monitor (linearly I might add) I do
find it hard to understand how it is possible to read off the tiny
screen of a cellphone.

My point here is that there is a multitude of preferences and that
these vary in time and with available technology.

> Regarding the sematic web.  I don't think that the tags contribute all
> that much to sematic understanding.

The first generation web search engines were big on boolean logic
and other fancy features to locate the desired information. Then
came Google and provided a simpler yet more effective principle.

I would therefore hope that progress through the next few decades
will continue to simplify things and not require elaborate
schemes in order to reach the goals.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen

From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 3 Aug 2003 22:20:28 -0000

Simon Anderson wrote:

[snip]

> So far, you have insinuated or flat out stated that I am a troll,
> incompetent, insecure, inconsistent and worst of all that my document is
> unlikely to be worthwhile. You've also, against all reason, belittled any
> suggestion that the Author Guide is unhelpful and that there are barriers
> to publication at the LDP difficult for new Authors to overcome.

The barriers are well known and the templates are my efforts to
simplify the matters for new authors. Like a few others I use LinuxDoc
which is available as a debian package and works out of the box.

Various online editing tools have been proposed but as always we are
lacking the time and resources to do this yet.

> Tabatha considers you to have "been here to help." Which I take to
> mean that your opinions are ones with which she (and by extension
> the rest of LDP) agrees. I disagree however and think that your posts
> prove my initial point; the LDP (or rather; elements of it) present a
> barrier to new authors.

Actually there is no single person in TLDP that has the auhority to
speak on behalf of everyone else; considering the wide spectrum of
opinions that would quite simply be impossible.

There used to be another option to installing the entire tool chain, to
process documents using a mail based service, is this still operational?

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen

From: Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.####
Date: 6 Aug 2003 19:29:05 -0000

On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 10:30:27PM -0500, Simon Anderson wrote:
> The Author guide is not much better; "you need this this and this" but not
> "this is how you install and configure the various pieces and start using
> them.."

I haven't read through to the end of the thread yet, but I wanted to
remind people that I AM working on re-writing the Author Guide. I've been
on a (much needed) break from my computer on a 2000km road trip. I'll
probably have a working draft of the re-write within the next week.

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]