discuss: Thread: Re: New HOWTO --BuildingDumb Terminals with Linux ==> Review help required

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: New HOWTO --BuildingDumb Terminals with Linux ==> Review help required
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 24 May 2003 20:58:30 -0000

Hi Sumeet,

Thanks for your recent document proposal!

Please allow some time (at least a week) for feedback from the
discussion list on your idea.  The folks here are very helpful and
knowledgable about the collection and may have some extra ideas you'll
want to incorporate.

You will want to take a look around the LDP to see which documents may
be comparable to yours, or ask the discussion list for help on that.  If
your document differs from that already at the LDP, you may be asked to
describe in what ways.

Since most of the document appears to be written, if everything looks
like a go (there is no existing coverage, and feedback has been written
in where appropriate), then I can do a final review prior to addition
(unless we have any volunteers for grammar/spelling/markup!).

If I've left you with any unanswered questions, don't hesitate to let me
know!

Tabatha

--
Tabatha Marshall
Web: www.merlinmonroe.com

From: Glen Turner ####@####.####
Date: 30 May 2003 03:26:52 -0000

My only comment is that you might want to rethink the name.
"Dumb terminals" used to mean serial terminals without a
great deal of capability, such as cursor addressing.

I think "diskless workstation" is the more common term.

From: David Horton ####@####.####
Date: 30 May 2003 21:20:51 -0000

Glen Turner wrote:

> My only comment is that you might want to rethink the name.
> "Dumb terminals" used to mean serial terminals without a
> great deal of capability, such as cursor addressing.
>
> I think "diskless workstation" is the more common term.

"Thin Client" or "NetPC" are popular terms as well.

It looks like you have a very nice HOWTO, Sumeet.  The only thing that I
would wish for would be that section 4.1 have examples of how to
configure LTSP on distributions other than redhat.

From: Morgon Kanter ####@####.####
Date: 30 May 2003 21:37:08 -0000

> > My only comment is that you might want to rethink the name.
> > "Dumb terminals" used to mean serial terminals without a
> > great deal of capability, such as cursor addressing.

Used to? It still does.

Morgon
--
"Luckily the Evas can run on gasoline... sad to say, they still get
better mileage than most American cars." -- Gendo Ikari, parody of
From: "alpha1429" ####@####.####
Date: 31 May 2003 02:12:21 -0000

David Horton wrote:
> Glen Turner wrote:
>>
>> My only comment is that you might want to rethink the name.
>> "Dumb terminals" used to mean serial terminals without a
>> great deal of capability, such as cursor addressing.
>>
>> I think "diskless workstation" is the more common term.
>

> "Thin Client" or "NetPC" are popular terms as well.
>

> It looks like you have a very nice HOWTO, Sumeet.  The only thing
> that I would wish for would be that section 4.1 have examples of how
> to configure LTSP on distributions other than redhat.

I've tried it on Debian, Redhat and Mandrake. Proceduraly, its not all that
different. However, there are a few nuances (setting up sound was
particularly
fun with sound playing on the server instead of the client =)). I suppose I
could
provide some input on this in the future. I'm quite busy at the moment
though.

Binh.

From: Sumeet Madhukar Moghe ####@####.####
Date: 31 May 2003 02:35:06 -0000

On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 08:56, Glen Turner wrote:

> I think "diskless workstation" is the more common term.
Yep, I think I am beginning to believe in this all the more. I guess
I will, change the name of this HOWTO, soon. There is a reviewed version
of the document by Dan Richter ####@####.#### I shall
hopefully be putting up on the web by tomorrow. Dan has very kindly
consented to "help with proofreading and clarity".

Tabatha, could you please do a review of my work as soon as I put the
latest document on the net. I guess there arent any more reviews, forthcoming.
There is similar content on the LDP, but the reasons for the presence of
this document are outlined in its first section.

/Sumeet

P.S. This being the second suggestion to change the name of the HOWTO,
including one by David Lawyer, I shall definitely be changing the name
of the HOWTO to something more appropriate, in the next few days
(,perhaps after Tabatha's review).

Sumeet Madhukar Moghe         | ####@####.####
C/O Mr PK Das, Ghola C Block, | Phone:+ 91 - 33 - 2595 1420
Opposite Checkpost, Sodepur,  |       + 91 - 33 - 2565 7575
Calcutta 700 110 - INDIA      |

manager in the cable duct

From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 31 May 2003 03:23:08 -0000

On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 19:32, Sumeet Madhukar Moghe wrote:
> Tabatha, could you please do a review of my work as soon as I put the
> latest document on the net. I guess there arent any more reviews, forthcoming.
> There is similar content on the LDP, but the reasons for the presence of
> this document are outlined in its first section.

Just let me know when it's there and I'll be happy to!

> P.S. This being the second suggestion to change the name of the HOWTO,
> including one by David Lawyer, I shall definitely be changing the name
> of the HOWTO to something more appropriate, in the next few days
> (,perhaps after Tabatha's review).

I'll bear in mind that the title will be changed when I perform the
review.

Thanks!

From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 31 May 2003 17:35:53 -0000

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 08:24:50PM -0700, Tabatha Marshall wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 19:32, Sumeet Madhukar Moghe wrote:
> > Tabatha, could you please do a review of my work as soon as I put
> > the latest document on the net. I guess there arent any more
> > reviews, forthcoming.

Just a minute.  Wasn't I going to review it too?  I haven't had time to
take another look at it but the history part was confusing and needs
work.

> > There is similar content on the LDP, but the reasons for the presence of
> > this document are outlined in its first section.

Why didn't you cite these docs?  You did cite one by Al Dev which seems
to be the worst one to cite.  It's on the same subject as yours:
diskless workstations and is full of hype, etc.  So perhaps your HOWTO
could replace his and then you would not need to cite it as we would
hopefully remove it from our collection.

> Just let me know when it's there and I'll be happy to!
>
> > P.S. This being the second suggestion to change the name of the HOWTO,
> > including one by David Lawyer, I shall definitely be changing the name
> > of the HOWTO to something more appropriate, in the next few days
> > (,perhaps after Tabatha's review).

Well, a review includes a review of the title so I think the title needs
to be selected first.

> I'll bear in mind that the title will be changed when I perform the
> review.
			David Lawyer
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 1 Jun 2003 03:15:01 -0000

On Sat, 2003-05-31 at 00:59, David Lawyer wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 08:24:50PM -0700, Tabatha Marshall wrote:
> > > Tabatha, could you please do a review of my work as soon as I put
> > > the latest document on the net. I guess there arent any more
> > > reviews, forthcoming.
>
> Just a minute.  Wasn't I going to review it too?  I haven't had time to
> take another look at it but the history part was confusing and needs
> work.

It's all yours, David...I assumed I may be looking at a spelling/grammar
review, but if you want that too, help yourself!