discuss: Thread: updated Cable Modem HOWTO proposal

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: updated Cable Modem HOWTO proposal
From: Howard Shane ####@####.####
Date: 25 Jun 2003 11:58:47 -0000

Hi all,

I recently authored the Motorola-4100+4200 HOWTO, an updated version of
which can be found at

http://66.25.191.66/docs/HOWTOS/SurfBoard/index.html

However, I moved recently and found that my settings worked 'out of the
box' for the Toshiba cable modem my ISP (ack!) demanded I use.

Other than very rudimentary setup info, the Cable Modem HOWTO at
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Cable-Modem/index.html consists only of a large
compendium of cable providers by geographic region.

The original author of the above doc, vlad vulksan, has not responded to
my emails ####@####.#### and emails to the admin of his web page
bounce. The document has not been revised since 2001. A recent internet
search for him was fruitless.

My proposal: Rather than publishing my hardware-specific doc alone that
I consolidate the information into a revised Cable-Modem HOWTO
including: 1) generic setup instructions, 2) the SurfBoard and Toshiba
model-specific instructions, and 3) the cable provider catalogue from
the original document.

Info about other cable modems could be solicited from those using them
sucessfully under linux, and the cable ISP info doubtless needs
updating. I believe the result of this project would be a very robust
document.

Comments welcome!
hs

Subject: Re: updated Cable Modem HOWTO proposal
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 25 Jun 2003 18:16:16 -0000

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 06:58:47AM -0500, Howard Shane wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently authored the Motorola-4100+4200 HOWTO, an updated version of
> which can be found at
>
> http://66.25.191.66/docs/HOWTOS/SurfBoard/index.html
>
> However, I moved recently and found that my settings worked 'out of the
> box' for the Toshiba cable modem my ISP (ack!) demanded I use.
>
> Other than very rudimentary setup info, the Cable Modem HOWTO at
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Cable-Modem/index.html consists only of a large
> compendium of cable providers by geographic region.

If this isn't up-to-date I would favor dropping it provided that one can
easily find such providers on the internet.  Is there another list
that's better?  Maintaining an up-to-date list like this is quite a
chore.

> The original author of the above doc, vlad vulksan, has not responded to
> my emails ####@####.#### and emails to the admin of his web page
> bounce. The document has not been revised since 2001. A recent internet
> search for him was fruitless.
>
> My proposal: Rather than publishing my hardware-specific doc alone that
> I consolidate the information into a revised Cable-Modem HOWTO
> including: 1) generic setup instructions, 2) the SurfBoard and Toshiba
> model-specific instructions, and 3) the cable provider catalogue from
> the original document.

Good idea but the catalogue may need to be dropped.