discuss: Thread: new_document

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: new_document
From: Marinho Paiva Duarte ####@####.####
Date: 15 Dec 2001 02:12:52 -0000

Hello!!!

I am working in a "new" HOWTO. This howto is about de initialization
scripts of GNU/Linux. This will cover Red Hat (based on 7.1) and
Debian (based on 2.2r3 Potato). Later I will talk Slackware 8 on this
HOWTO. This HOWTO will explain how and when the initialization scripts
acts on the system, and of course, explain how to make modifications
to improve security and performance on startup/shutdown. This will be
called Initialization howto. Will write this in Portuguese and
english. I did not see any howto talking about initialization scripts
like I plan to do in this I am writting.
I would like see my howto in linuxdoc.

Marinho

Subject: Re: new_document
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 15 Dec 2001 18:04:59 -0000

On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 12:16:11AM -0200, Marinho Paiva Duarte wrote:
> Hello!!!
>
> I am working in a "new" HOWTO. This howto is about de initialization
> scripts of GNU/Linux. This will cover Red Hat (based on 7.1) and
> Debian (based on 2.2r3 Potato). Later I will talk Slackware 8 on this
> HOWTO. This HOWTO will explain how and when the initialization scripts
> acts on the system, and of course, explain how to make modifications
> to improve security and performance on startup/shutdown. This will be
> called Initialization howto. Will write this in Portuguese and
> english. I did not see any howto talking about initialization scripts
> like I plan to do in this I am writting.
> I would like see my howto in linuxdoc.

SystemV style initialization, I presume? Sounds good. Go for it.

Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

If the price seems too good to be true, it generally is.
	--Microsoft attorney Jim Lowe
From: Hans-JoachimPicht ####@####.####
Date: 15 Dec 2001 18:52:30 -0000

On Sat, 15 Dec 2001 00:16:11 -0200
Marinho Paiva Duarte ####@####.#### wrote:

> I am working in a "new" HOWTO. This howto is about de initialization
> scripts of GNU/Linux. This will cover Red Hat (based on 7.1) and
> Debian (based on 2.2r3 Potato).

Hello, if you need any help or review on this, I might offer some help, because I edited
a lot of init-scripts on Debian GNU/Linux and RedHat for customers during the last months
and created some stripped down systems booting from cd.

With best regards

	Hans
--
"If you are using an Macintosh e-mail program that is not from Microsoft, we
 recommend checking with that particular company. But most likely other
From: Carsten Kolassa ####@####.####
Date: 24 Jul 2003 09:21:54 -0000

From: David Horton ####@####.####
Date: 24 Jul 2003 21:49:45 -0000

Carsten Kolassa wrote:

> Dear Sir or Madam,
> I would like to write a Howto about network programming
> (Network-Programming Howto) it will cover the following
> Topics:
> - - How to use Sockets to establish a Connection (stream Sockets) and how to
> establish a "Connectionless" Connection (datagram sockets)
> - - How to write to a Socket
> - - How to read from a Socket
> - - How to listen on a socket and especially
> - - How to write a simple server (with Synchronous I/O Multiplexing)
> - - How to write a sniffer (with and without the pcap library)
> I am going to describe all those topics for the programming language C and
> after that I show how to do the same in C++ (later I also describe the most
> important parts for perl and java).
>
> I am going to submit my draft after some reviews during the next week.
> Please tell me what you think about the topic or suggest improvements.
>

> Yours truly,
>
> Carsten Kolassa

Carsten,

I personally think that this is a very interesting topic.  Do you have a
draft available on the web?  If so could you send a URL?  I'd like to
check it out.

Also I don't think there are any howtos on this subject yet, so it would
be a nice addition.

Dave