discuss: Thread: where is ipnatctl??

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 3 [>] [>>]
Subject: where is ipnatctl??
From: ####@####.####
Date: 7 Jul 2001 02:31:00 -0000

Hi.....this is my second ask here...i hope someone respond me...please!!!....I
am an normal human been, I need a little help!!....
I want to know.....where is the ipnatctl binaries to download?.....
I have to install a Linux Firewall for an intranet and i need to do static NAT
(I don\'t want use portfw)...I have read ipnatctl can do that if I use iptables
with kernel 2.4...

Ip tables How to talks about ipnatctl as the same funtion as -j MASQ option in
ipchains along with the new static NAT feature......but i can open
http://netfilter.kernelnotes.org/ in order to download the package.

a friend told me that ipnatctl never come true.....and it was joined to a
iptables package...anybody know if it\'s true??.....or how can use iptables to
do static NAT??

THANKS A LOT!!

Alfredo
Guayaquil- Ecuador

Mail enviado desde PortalMail 1.4.2 Web based email system.
PaloSanto Solutions, Sunnyvale CA.
http://www.palosanto.com
Subject: Re: where is ipnatctl??
From: Hal Burgiss ####@####.####
Date: 7 Jul 2001 02:45:43 -0000

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 07:28:51PM -0700, ####@####.#### wrote:

> a friend told me that ipnatctl never come true.....and it was joined to a
> iptables package...anybody know if it\'s true??.....or how can use iptables to
> do static NAT??

I think that project died quite some time ago. Check

http://netfilter.samba.org

Some pretty good docs there. There is a mirror at filewatcher.org too
I think.

David, Greg, etc:

From  http://netfilter.samba.org/unreliable-guides/

Rusty's Remarkably Unreliable Guides

[...]

The LDP guys no longer return my EMails (from me or my hamster). <<<<

???

On a quick look, I don't see any of his docs at LDP, but he has a link
to us on this page.

--
Hal B
 ####@####.####

From: "John Peter Tapsell <John Tapsell" ####@####.####
Date: 7 Jul 2001 04:38:02 -0000

On Sat, 07 Jul 2001, you wrote:
> Hi.....this is my second ask here...i hope someone respond me...please!!!....I
> am an normal human been, I need a little help!!....
> I want to know.....where is the ipnatctl binaries to download?.....
> I have to install a Linux Firewall for an intranet and i need to do static NAT
> (I don\'t want use portfw)...I have read ipnatctl can do that if I use iptables
> with kernel 2.4...

Your in luck friend!
I only yesterday submitted a new MASQ Made Simple - HOWTO.
See
http://130.88.226.47/
for now, while i iron out sgml problems :)

--
"I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's too
young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry that 10 or
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 7 Jul 2001 15:56:05 -0000

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 10:44:54PM -0400, Hal Burgiss wrote:
> David, Greg, etc:
>
> >From  http://netfilter.samba.org/unreliable-guides/
>

> Rusty's Remarkably Unreliable Guides
>
> [...]
>
> The LDP guys no longer return my EMails (from me or my hamster). <<<<
>
> ???
>
> On a quick look, I don't see any of his docs at LDP, but he has a link
> to us on this page.

We publish the Linux IPChains HOWTO at
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/IPCHAINS-HOWTO.html

Do you want to write to him and see if he'll send us the others? Then
we'll answer his emails. ;-)

Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

TRANSACTION CANCELLED - FARECARD RETURNED
From: "Greg Ferguson" ####@####.####
Date: 7 Jul 2001 17:05:50 -0000

On Jul 7, 11:55am, David Merrill wrote:
> Subject: Re: where is ipnatctl??
> On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 10:44:54PM -0400, Hal Burgiss wrote:
> > David, Greg, etc:
> >
> > >From  http://netfilter.samba.org/unreliable-guides/
> >

> > Rusty's Remarkably Unreliable Guides
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > The LDP guys no longer return my EMails (from me or my hamster). <<<<
> >
> > ???
> >
> > On a quick look, I don't see any of his docs at LDP, but he has a link
> > to us on this page.
>
> We publish the Linux IPChains HOWTO at
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/IPCHAINS-HOWTO.html
>
> Do you want to write to him and see if he'll send us the others? Then
> we'll answer his emails. ;-)

I believe I contacted him about a year ago after I saw that.
Can't recall the outcome though.

r,
Ferg

From: Hal Burgiss ####@####.####
Date: 7 Jul 2001 19:55:36 -0000

On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 12:57:47PM -0400, Greg Ferguson wrote:

> > Do you want to write to him and see if he'll send us the others? Then
> > we'll answer his emails. ;-)
>
> I believe I contacted him about a year ago after I saw that. Can't
> recall the outcome though.

I gave him a shout. His 'What's Rusty Up to' page, says he is on
holiday, so I don't expect a quick response.

--
Hal B
 ####@####.####

From: Poet/Joshua Drake ####@####.####
Date: 7 Jul 2001 20:15:32 -0000

Hello,

Yeah we have contacted him several times, to no avail.

<COMPANY>CommandPrompt	- http://www.commandprompt.com	</COMPANY>
<PROJECT>OpenDocs, LLC.	- http://www.opendocs.org	</PROJECT>
<PROJECT>LinuxPorts 	- http://www.linuxports.com     </PROJECT>
<WEBMASTER>LDP		- http://www.linuxdoc.org	</WEBMASTER>
--
Instead of asking why a piece of software is using "1970s technology,"
start asking why software is ignoring 30 years of accumulated wisdom.

From: Hal Burgiss ####@####.####
Date: 7 Jul 2001 20:52:41 -0000

On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 01:14:54PM -0700, Poet/Joshua Drake wrote:

> Yeah we have contacted him several times, to no avail.

Was this a quiet 'DROP' or a 'REJECT'? ;)

These look to be licensed under the GPL. Is there anything wrong with
incorporating these as is? Realizing of course, it is more desirable
to have his active consent and participation, but reproduction would
seem to be permissable.

IMHO, these are the definitive reference on iptables, and seems to me
it leaves a gaping hole in the current collection.

--
Hal B
 ####@####.####

From: Poet/Joshua Drake ####@####.####
Date: 7 Jul 2001 23:31:18 -0000

I would suspect that it was quiet DROP ;)

From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 8 Jul 2001 00:09:05 -0000

On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 04:30:23PM -0700, Poet/Joshua Drake wrote:
> I would suspect that it was quiet DROP ;)

Well, let's just keep trying. Sooner or later, he'll probably answer.

Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

You can't go home again, unless you set $HOME.