discuss: Thread: (Fwd) Samba book: request for licencing guidance.

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: (Fwd) Samba book: request for licencing guidance.
From: "Greg Ferguson" ####@####.####
Date: 18 Jun 2001 19:53:57 -0000

from the feedback alias. Please respond directly to
Chris ####@####.#### if you have suggestions.

--- Forwarded mail from "Christopher R. Hertel" ####@####.####

From: "Christopher R. Hertel" ####@####.####
Subject: Samba book: request for licencing guidance.
To: ####@####.####
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 12:23:01 -0500 (CDT)

Dear LDP,

I have a partially written book and an offer from a publisher for the
whole thing.  I would like to continue to publish the book on-line on the
web, while still receiving royalties for the hard-copy version.  There is
an existing Samba book that was published under a similar arrangement with
O'Reilly.

Do you have any recommendations regarding an existing licence that would
provide for such an arrangment?

Looking forward to your reply.

Chris Hertel
Samba Team

jCIFS Team -- http://jcifs.samba.org/   -)-----   ubiqx development,
uninq.
ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   ####@####.####

---End of forwarded mail from "Christopher R. Hertel" ####@####.####
Subject: Re: (Fwd) Samba book: request for licencing guidance.
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 19 Jun 2001 00:05:11 -0000

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 03:45:58PM -0400, Greg Ferguson wrote:
> from the feedback alias. Please respond directly to
> Chris ####@####.#### if you have suggestions.

Hi Chris,

Look at the GFDL or OPL. Both of them are Free licenses, but they
allow you to designate portions of the text that are unchangeable.
Some people believe that by putting, for example,

             ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED BY

             O'REILLY AND ASSOCIATES

at the top of the document, you will prevent other publishers from
doing hardcover copies. The last thing they want is to be seen
republishing O'Reilly books, as if they can't produce good work of
their own.

Of course, you have to make a judgement as to whether you buy that
logic. If anyone knows whether it has yet been tested in the real
world, please let us all know.

HTH, and good luck to you.

> --- Forwarded mail from "Christopher R. Hertel" ####@####.####
>
> From: "Christopher R. Hertel" ####@####.####
> Subject: Samba book: request for licencing guidance.
> To: ####@####.####
> Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 12:23:01 -0500 (CDT)
>
> Dear LDP,
>
> I have a partially written book and an offer from a publisher for the
> whole thing.  I would like to continue to publish the book on-line on the
> web, while still receiving royalties for the hard-copy version.  There is
> an existing Samba book that was published under a similar arrangement with
> O'Reilly.
>
> Do you have any recommendations regarding an existing licence that would
> provide for such an arrangment?
>
> Looking forward to your reply.
>
> Chris Hertel
> Samba Team