discuss: [Debian removes free documentation / technical aspects]

Subject: Re: [discuss] [Debian removes free documentation / technical aspects]
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 21 Apr 2006 05:33:35 -0000

On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 12:26:51PM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> I'm with you on the free license for software and all the DFSG
> freedoms. Unfortunately, as has been demonstrated several times, it's
> VERY hard to distinguish between documentation and software any more -
> in the widest sense, it's all just bits. Where do you draw the line -

I should have added that I think that documentation that goes with a
free software program needs to be free (like the code is free).  If
someone modifies the code, then s/he needs to be able to immediately
modify the documentation that accompanies the code.  But most LDP
documentation is of a more general nature so it's less essential that
it be free.