discuss: [Debian removes free documentation / technical aspects]

Subject: Re: [discuss] [Debian removes free documentation / technical aspects]
From: Jean-Christophe Helary ####@####.####
Date: 16 Apr 2006 05:07:37 -0000

On 2006/04/16, at 12:29, David Lawyer wrote:

> Although you didn't necessarily imply that the DFSG are OK, I don't
> think they are very good.  The major problem with them is that they
> mainly state what the license must not restrict, not the rights that
> the license must grant.  This results in possible loopholes.  For
> example, if a license doesn't have any restrictions, then the
> copyrighted work is still very much restricted by copyright law.  In
> this case, for the DFSG to apply, such a license that has no
> restrictions must be interpreted as one that has all the restrictions
> of copyright law.  Such an interpretation is of debatable validity.
> So the DFSG should be redone to mainly specify what rights the licence
> should grant.

My understanding was that licenses (free or not) apply exclusively to
copyrighted material. Which means that unless a document is put in
the public domain (and thus cannot have its use restricted by _any_
form of licensing) all the rules regarding copyright apply. And that
is regardless of the license.

The play on word with "copyleft" in only a play on word and does not
mean that there is no copyright on the free documents.

A licence cannot grant rights not allowed by copyright law. Those are
two different realms.

Jean-Christophe Helary