discuss: Re: [announce] updates (Bash-Beginners-Guide)

Subject: Re: [announce] updates (Bash-Beginners-Guide)
From: Machtelt Garrels ####@####.####
Date: 15 Mar 2006 15:00:33 -0000

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Fran Litterio wrote:

> Greg Ferguson ####@####.#### wrote:
>
> > Bash Guide for Beginners
> > Machtelt Garrels
> > v1.8  Mar 2006
> > http://www.tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/index.html
>
> Greg and Machtelt,
>
> With the above announcement, I just became aware of the "Bash Guide
> for Beginners".  Unfortunately, there is significant overlap between
> the content of the "Bash Guide for Beginners" and the (not yet
> published) "Bash Scripting Introduction HOWTO" that I'm working on
> with Rohit Patil -- a draft of which can be found at:
>
>   http://world.std.com/~franl/draft-bash-scripting-intro-howto.html
>
> I'm not sure how to proceed.  The "Bash Guide for Beginners" does two
> things that my HOWTO also attempts to do:
>
>   1. Target first-time users of Bash.
>   2. Describe how to write shell scripts.
>
> I need editorial advice here.  Is there room for _two_ introductory
> documents on Bash that both describe variables, if-statements, loops,
> etc.?
>
> If so, how should the "Bash Scripting Introduction HOWTO" distinguish
> itself from the "Bash Guide for Beginners" in the areas where the
> subject matter overlaps?  There is already an "Advanced Bash-Scripting
> Guide" that is very mature, so adding advanced material to my HOWTO
> does not seem wise.
>
> If not, is there a chance we can merge some of my HOWTO into the "Bash
> Guide for Beginnners"?  Clearly, there are other HOWTOs I can work on,
> if the current one is a duplication of effort.

Speaking as an author, on the one hand, I'd prefer to merge content into
the Bash Guide.
Speaking for LDP, on the other hand, there have been both arguments: some
say we should diversify, others say we should offer one doc on each
subject so as not to confuse the reader.  But as we are talking here about
some form of programming, I think the subject easily becomes too large for
a HOWTO.

But I guess I am too closely involved here, and there might be a
conflict of interest.  So maybe it would be better to ask some more advise
from the list?

Tille.

- --
My Penguin, my freedom.		http://tille.xalasys.com