discuss: GNU Linux Tools Summary

Subject: Re: [discuss] GNU Linux Tools Summary
From: "Gareth Anderson" ####@####.####
Date: 5 Mar 2006 02:03:29 -0000

Hi,

Its great to see people are getting my messages on list, for some reason I
did not receive the original message I sent :( (I do receieve other peoples
messages that are sent to discuss excluding from the posts I have sent...).

In other words Please keep CC'ing me :).

I thought the accepted practice in tldp was review *then* acceptance,
> rather than the converse?  (The converse practice in the past has
> resulted in some fiascos.)

The problem is there were several partial reviews of this document. This
document is huge and having a single person review it is simply too
difficult. Excluding of course, myself who has reviewed it so many times I
can't count them :P

I do welcome a review but making changes would be difficult for me (unless
the reviewer has enough time to say "replace sentence XXX" with "sentence
YYY", which is probably not realistic. There is also the fact that different
reviewers have different opinions on how things should look, so one reviewer
may be happy with the current way it is while another will request changes.

Oh, I should mention that a number of people did previously say the document
will be accepted when finished after they did their reviews, in other words
it was accepted (off list if I recall correctly), but it has changed and
those people may have moved on from TLDP.

That was a long time ago, and others dis-agreed with adding the document at
all (a long story), I've attempted to fix the complaints from those who said
it should not be added as best as I could.

The document is enormous.  Therefore, I'm not sure if there is
> a notion of improving it incrementally, especially when the
> author has indicated that he is unlikely to do much further
> work on it.

Yes, there's another major problem. I'm sure if you have a quick read:
http://karakas-online.de/gnu-linux-tools-summary/

You will see the document is of a high quality, but not perfect, as I'm sure
no document is.

I have carefully stated in the "Who would want to read this guide" section:
"This guide is aimed at beginners to intermediate users who want to learn
about the commandline tools available to them. Advanced users may wish to
use it as a command reference, however this document aims to list
*****commands of interest, as judged by the authors opinion, it is not
designed to be completely comprehensive*****, see the appendix, Section
A.2.1<http://karakas-online.de/gnu-linux-tools-summary/further-reading.html#GENERAL-FURTHER-READING>for
further information."

If you see the sentence enclosed in ******'s, you will see that this is how
the document was written and it was a major point of concern in previous
reviews and debate.

If you do intend to review the document, I would recommend you review the
general style of the document rather than try to review the entire thing (I
know the normal procedure is to review the entire document, but I don't
think it is realistic unless we break into into parts and have lots of
people with spare time and motivation to review it).

Also I would like everyone to keep in mind that I haven't really seen any
documentation like this so you may like to keep that in mind when you review
it...

Regards,
Gareth