discuss: My PDF output of my Howto document is suboptimal

Subject: Re: [discuss] My PDF output of my Howto document is suboptimal
From: Chris Karakas ####@####.####
Date: 3 Mar 2006 13:32:21 -0000

####@####.#### schrieb am 03.03.06 00:38:21:

> If there is another type of toolchain that works reliably AND
> works with linuxdoc SGML, DocBook SGML/XML (various DTD versions),
> then I'm willing to examine such a solution!

OK, I accept the challenge. :-)

Please give me links to

a) an example linuxdoc SGML file with DSSSL stylesheet for PDF as well as with callouts, example images, mathematics...
b) an example DocBook SGML file with DSSSL stylesheet for PDF as well as with callouts, example images, mathematics...
c) any other example of SGML file with DSSSL stylesheet for PDF as well as with callouts, example images, mathematics... that the procedure must be able to handle

and I will try to write a bash script for you that creates the PDF from SGML.

You will only need to change the file paths to the programs used in the script, like openjade, pdfjadetex etc. The DSSSL stylesheets will also be held in variables, so that you will only need to specify them once in the script - and forget them afterwards. You will, however need a working installation of TeX and LaTeX with at least a working kpathsea, Computer Modern fonts and the like, as well as openjade, pdfjadetex and ghostscript. These are packages

te_etex-1.0.7-319
texinfo-4.0-268
tetex-1.0.7-319
te_latex-1.0.7-319
openjade-1.3.2-116
te_pdf-1.0.7-476
gs-???

on my SuSE 9.0.

What do you say? Is that an offer?

Someone else please take the XML part.

Then you can combine both scripts and you are done. :-)

Chris

PS. Oh, BTW, I said mathematics... Can someone show me a PDF created with FOP that contains mathematics? :-)
But with SGML I have been producing PDFs with mathematics already in the past 5 years now...see here:

http://www.karakas-online.de/mySGML/mySGML.pdf

page 163. Come on guys, show me if you can do that with FOP.

And don't tell me "we don't need math in the TLDP docs", because I am sure we do, we only avoid them because we cannot get them display right in the docs...

--
Regards

Chris Karakas
http://www.karakas-online.de