discuss: My PDF output of my Howto document is suboptimal

Subject: Re: [discuss] My PDF output of my Howto document is suboptimal
From: Chris Karakas ####@####.####
Date: 2 Mar 2006 10:43:04 -0000

####@####.#### schrieb am 01.03.06 21:00:19:

> Hi,
>
> I'm testing my nearly done version of the next issue of the BogoMips
> mini-Howto (at last a new one), now in full blown DocBook XML. Runs with
> FOP to create a PDF file does give a readable file, but the layout is
> terrible: all one long text without useful pagination (e.g., per section
> start), huge letters for section and subsection titles, mixture of serif
> and non-serif fonts. And I get a lot of messages about
> background-position and other warnings.

I've heard horror stories about PDF and FOP, back in 2000 and as current as 2005.

Meanwhile, I've been producing high quality PDFs all these years, with good ol' SGML, openjade, pdfjadetex, TeX - and LyX! :-)

So, if you want an optimal PDF, look here:

http://www.karakas-online.de/mySGML/explain-optimal-pdf.html

--
Regards

Chris Karakas