discuss: Debian, et. al. distributing stale LDP documentation

Subject: Re: [discuss] Debian, et. al. distributing stale LDP documentation
From: "Mahesh T. Pai" ####@####.####
Date: 15 Feb 2006 07:07:07 -0000

David Lawyer said on Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 09:48:17PM -0800,:

 > I wrote this after I couldn't find documentation I needed on my PC due
 > to Debian's mis-conceived policy.

Debian `unstable' has a snapshot of doc-linux-* for 2005.12-1.

I Really do not think `stable` will accept anything except what was in
there when the repository was declared to be `stable`.

I guess something can/should be done about testing. (Currently, etch).

 > 			David Lawyer
 > <!doctype linuxdoc system>
 > <article>
 > <title> Why Everyone Should Distribute Only the Latest HOWTOs
 > <author>David S.Lawyer <tt><url ####@####.####
 > <date> Feb. 2006
 >
 > <sect>Introduction
 > (packages named doc-linux-text, etc.) in their testing and stable
 > distributions of Linux.  Why?  It's because they are handling
 > documentation like one handles software: the very latest revision of
 > software is more likely to have serious bugs, so it's safer to use
 > previous versions that have gone thru a testing period.  But this
 > policy is ill advised for documentation because documentation is of a
 > much different nature than software.  The policy of Debian and others
 > needs to be changed to always distribute the latest HOWTOs.  This
 > article will explain why.

BTW, debian is unlikely to treat  anything which is carried on its ISO
images /  servers as anything except  software. That is  why it treats
the GNU Free Documentation license as non-free.

--
Mahesh T. Pai   ||  http://paivakil.blogspot.com
Distributing free copies of non-free software is --