discuss: part of the review?

Subject: Re: part of the review?
From: Randy Kramer ####@####.####
Date: 15 Jul 2001 18:59:06 -0000

jdd wrote:
> > Checkout both Koffice Beta3 and AbiWord. Both Export to DocBook.
>
> there is a "mime type sgml" export, but a try gives no docbook correct output
>
> these products seems unable to give default correct syntax.

I'm sure the developer's of AbiWord (and probably those of Koffice)
would like to make it work correctly.  I think what it takes is someone
to try AbiWord and file specific bugs.

In the last few months a new list has been setup,
####@####.#### to serve the needs of volunteer documentors
for AbiWord.  I mention them because they've needed to go through a
similar process in posting bugs to get the XHTML (or HTML, or both?)
output from AbiWord to be correct, and they may have some familiarity
with DocBook, or SMGL, or both.

Knowing only that DocBook is a markup language that puts tags of various
sorts within angle brackets, I'm guessing that someone would have to
setup a style for each DocBook tag that might be used.

I made a small test document in Abiword, consisting of the word test in
two separate paragraphs.  I then applied the Numbered Heading 1 style to
the first "test" and left the other as plain text.  I then exported the
document to DocBook, and looked at the output in a text editor.  (It
looked good to me!)  Perhaps I could send this document to someone and
you could tell me what's wrong with it, and give me suggestions on other
tags that we should deal with (one or two at a time), and let's see if
we can get AbiWord to handle everything you need.

Randy Kramer