discuss: new HOWTO proposal

Subject: Re: [discuss] New HOWTO proposal
From: Machtelt Garrels ####@####.####
Date: 8 Feb 2006 13:36:02 -0000

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Daniel Coletti wrote:

> Hi,
> 	I'm working on a new document that I'd like to sumit to TLDP.
>
> Subject: Organizing a FLOSS Conference HOWTO
>
> History:
> 	This is a document that we, at the CaFeLUG (a local LUG in Argentina's
> Federal Capital), wanted to write for quiet a long time. After our
> fourth annual conference I decided to stop thinking about it, and go
> ahead and write it. At the CaFeLUG we organize an annual conference
> called ``CaFeCONF´´ (yes, we borrowed the name from DEBCONF), the site
> is mainly in spanish but some part of it is translated -
> http://www.cafeconf.org.
> 	After four years putting CaFeCONF together we got reasonable good at
> it, so I think our experience could help a few people.
>
> Scope:
> 	The document covers how to deal with these topics:
> 	- Tasks and resposabilities (how to put some order to caos)
> 	- Publishing (where to publish the conference and what to publish about it)
> 	- Speeches (how to select the speeches, call-for-papers and such)
> 	- Speakers (how to deal with local and foreign speakers, specially
> foreign ones)
> 	- Sponsors (ideas on how to get sponsoring)
> 	- Web site (different ways to organize the conference's web site)
> 	- Attendees (how to deal with attendees, what they usually expect and
> how to give it to them)
> 	- At the conference (how to work at the conference's days)
>
> I did some search through the internet and didn't find any document
> regarding this matter.
> Any comments on the idea are welcome, I do have much of the document
> already written (I used the TLDP XML template). After I'm done with the
> document I will try to get somebody at the CaFeLUG to translate it to
> spanish.

Good, when it is ready, I'lls end it over to the people organizing LSM,
maybe they won't change the schedule for their speakers next time, just
on the day before you leave ;-)

> I'm not sure what are the steps I have to take from now on (I did read
> the Author Guide).

Well, send your text in whatever format to ####@####.#### and I will
find you a reviewer and have it converted to DocBook XML, if that is
necessary.

Tille.

- --
Machtelt Garrels                ####@####.####