discuss: DocBook is a catastrophe

Subject: RE: [discuss] DocBook is a catastrophe
From: Chris Karakas ####@####.####
Date: 31 Dec 2005 04:38:52 -0000

"Greg Porter" ####@####.#### schrieb am 17.12.05 22:20:08:

> Like folks have said, you don't need to know DocBook.  Give it to some
> (silly) person like me, and we'll add the markup.  Believe it or not,
> adding the markup after the fact is very labor intensive.  Documents
> I've done in the past took *WAY* longer to markup than they did to
> write.  It's not quite fair.  The author gets all the "glory" and us
> "markup-ers" get the work.  So like others have said, it might take us a
> while to do the markup...  http://www.karakas-online.de/mySGML/book1.html

Greg,

import the document you want to mark up into LyX 1.2.0. You'll find the RPMs for LyX 1.2.0 here:

http://www.karakas-online.de/mySGML/lyx.html

Make some changes to the document using LyX. Change its "document class" to "DocBook SGML". Then mark lists, code etc. up as such by just selecting them with the mouse and changing the "lyx environment" from the dropdown list of available environments. Then tell LyX to export it to DocBook SGML. Use some scripts to correct that output - and you are done! The rest is indeed too much to describe here, but it is all described in

http://www.karakas-online.de/mySGML/

Have a look at the markup of a 600-page  Howto I wrote this way:

http://www.karakas-online.de/EN-Book/EN-Book.sgml

Do you think I would write the Howto and you could mark it up as in that SGML file?

No way. No chance. It would take you years.

I wrote it in LyX. Open this one in LyX (preferably 1.2.0 version):

http://www.karakas-online.de/EN-Book/EN-Book.lyx

Does it look bad? I think not. So who told you guys to mark everything by hand, in pure XML editors and the like? ;-)

Let LyX and lyxtox do it. Here's how - all the gory details, in more than 200 pages:

http://www.karakas-online.de/mySGML/

And see the various formats of the Howto I get from there *automatically* ("hit a button"):

http://www.karakas-online.de/EN-Book/formats.html

Get the document that describes it all:

http://www.karakas-online.de/mySGML/formats.html

and be happy! Yes, happy...