discuss: DocBook is a catastrophe

Subject: RE: [discuss] DocBook is a catastrophe
From: "Greg Porter" ####@####.####
Date: 17 Dec 2005 21:19:52 -0000

I'm one of those (foolish) people that volunteer to convert <whatever>
documents to DocBook.  I agree that DocBook appears very unwieldy.

However, as a maintainer of various work related documents in various
formats, I can attest that I intentionally switched to DocBook and I
don't regret it.  At work I had multiple documents that I needed to
write/maintain in multiple formats (e.g., PDF, RTF, HTML, etc.).  I got
VERY tired of invoking multiple separate editors, making multiple
separate changes, posting multiple separate documents, etc.

Once I converted these documents to DocBook, I basically could do one
simple command, "hit a button", and get a properly formatted document.
Need a PDF?  Hit a button.  Need a word doc?  Hit a button.  Inserted a
new chapter and all the page numbers changed?  Hit a button.  You can
make one change and generate all possible documents to post very easily.

So, yes, in comparison to maintaining a single document in <whatever>
format, DocBook is a catastrophe.  However, when you have to maintain
multiple versions in various formats, it is *MUCH* easier to use
DocBook.

Like folks have said, you don't need to know DocBook.  Give it to some
(silly) person like me, and we'll add the markup.  Believe it or not,
adding the markup after the fact is very labor intensive.  Documents
I've done in the past took *WAY* longer to markup than they did to
write.  It's not quite fair.  The author gets all the "glory" and us
"markup-ers" get the work.  So like others have said, it might take us a
while to do the markup...

You'll see the benefit of using DocBook when you have to post various
changes to various versions in various formats.  With DocBook you only
have to change it once.

HTH, regards, and happy holidays,

Greg

--