discuss: Site remaking

Subject: Re: [discuss] Site remaking
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 17 Dec 2005 18:26:03 -0000

On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 01:50:45AM +0100, Sergiusz Pawlowicz wrote:
> If i look to cvs commits log, there are few users
> who love cvs, we process them in 'old' way.

I think that we should also use a still older way than cvs and that's
ordinary email.  CVS is probably easy to learn but most everyone knows
how to send email.  Right now one can do this by submitting to
"submit" but I understand that a small amount of manual processing is
required.

What about automating this by the use of passwords.  It's not fully
secure and there would need to be some sanity checks: Is this person
the author of the doc?  Is the return address correct?  Is it
excessively long?  Run it thru a spam filter?  Is the rate of
submission too high.  The automated system would email back an
acknowledgement to the submitter and email the webmaster a note
regarding anything that fails a sanity check.  This sounds too
complicated to script.  But has someone else set this up and made it
free software?

This way one just keeps their doc on their PC in an ordinary file and
works on it when time is available.  I guess CVS allows this too when
one "checks out" their doc.  Sending out an email takes time
too and it could be scripted so that typing say lpds (ldp submit) at
the command line would email the latest revision to ldp.  One problem
is revision numbers.  They also take a little time to change as well as
keeping a revision log but it's important to have this.  Software to
bump the revision number?  CVS does and doesn't do this since it only
bumps the CVS revision no. and not the doc revision number.

> > > - how to play with (static) mirrors around the
> > >   world.
> >
> > Make static copies for them via a cron job (I mean, unadorned,
> > standalone documents)?
>
> Yes, it is the solution, but also requires some
> work.

But we now have static copies for people to download so having them
for reading online is no problem.