discuss: Site remaking

Subject: Re: [discuss] Site remaking
From: Sergiusz Pawlowicz ####@####.####
Date: 17 Dec 2005 00:50:43 -0000

On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 01:04:04AM +0200, Yaroslav Fedevych wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 11:35:49PM +0100, Sergiusz Pawlowicz wrote:
> >
> > Why not to discuss it? :-)
> >
> > Currently we think about moinmoin as a base for
> > new ldp, it allows automatic rendering
> > docbook-->html for most of documents and has
> > build-it multiuser version control. It should
> > eliminate need of cvs for most of situations.
> > MoinMoin is based on css2 stylesheets, easy to
> > mofify to our needs.
> >

> For "most", but not for "all". How are large (I mean really large)
> documents going to be handled? Multipage things are pain in the
>i neck for wikis; and section numbering is nightmare.

In 'old' (CVS) way and manual processing like
today.

> By the way, I see it generating DocBook, but somehow cannot
> see it getting DocBook as input and rendering it.
>
> > The main unaswered questions:
> >
> > - is ibiblio ready to host moinmoin.fcgi/lighttpd
> >   softwate pair
> > - how moinmoin will behave in high loadaverage
>
> Apache benchmark or a simple bot trying a DDoS by "using"
> the service?

1. We have no rights to access main ibiblio
servers, so we cannot run a test server.
2. You can help us by installing it on your srver
the moinmoin.fcgi/lighttpd pair and 4suite for
docbook processing and measure it.

> > - we have not started to write converter
> >   cvs-->moin
>
> The brute force approach: a script checking out revisions from
> their very start and punching them to wiki -- even via web
> (btw, nice to mix it with the "DoS test").

OK, why not to start to write such a script?

> By the way, there might be people who just love CVS... How do
> you handle those who do _not_ like editing from within their
> browsers?

If i look to cvs commits log, there are few users
who love cvs, we process them in 'old' way.

> > - how to play with (static) mirrors around the
> >   world.
>
> Make static copies for them via a cron job (I mean, unadorned,
> standalone documents)?

Yes, it is the solution, but also requires some
work.

--
S.