discuss: Request for feedback: Windows-to-Linux HOWTO outline

Subject: Re: [discuss] Request for feedback: Windows-to-Linux HOWTO outline
From: Omari Norman ####@####.####
Date: 7 Dec 2005 02:56:44 -0000

Hi everybody,

* thanks Mahesh for the FHS--I had never heard of that before and
their webpage has the best file tree explanation I have ever seen.
Also I will definitely put hardware before software--certainly makes
more sense.

* per Tillie's suggestion, the draft HOWTO is now on the Web for
anyone who's interested:

http://www.smileystation.com/win-linux-howto

The rough beginning is there already, so take a look. I'll upload new
files there as I complete chunks of work. She also suggests looking at
the Guide format, which I shall.

* Charles, thanks for your many suggestions which I will incorporate.
I think file associations by extension (like Windows) probably would
be specific to KDE or Gnome. I can't think of any analogue in the
shell. But in addition, I know that KDE looks inside files to
determine what to do with them. (It sees shebang lines, for example.)
So I will look into this some more.

And I'll explain that defragging is not needed in Linux, which
certainly surprised me when I first learned it as defragging tends to
be a religous practice in DOS.

* thanks Poh for your offer of help--review assistance will definitely be handy!

Thanks everybody for your help, and keep chiming in :)

Omari

--
Omari -- Caution. The moving walkway is ending.