discuss: Request for feedback: Windows-to-Linux HOWTO outline

Subject: Re: [discuss] Request for feedback: Windows-to-Linux HOWTO outline
From: Omari Norman ####@####.####
Date: 1 Dec 2005 22:16:55 -0000

> What a nice surprise to see your name again. I remember well your HOW-TO
> from 5-6 years ago. It actually got me going in Linux and I have never
> looked back.

Heh, that wasn't me :) Five years ago I was in college, using Windows
98, and thinking my roomate was crazy when he was talking about
installing Mandrake Linux on his laptop.

Nah, I came to Linux just this year, after trying KNOPPIX on a whim
and being impressed with all that it offered--and only from a CD! I've
found TLDP very useful, noticed Guido's HOWTO hadn't been updated, and
offered to update it.

> The beauty of your original document was that it was in simple short
> sections.
>
> 'For the Impatient' was *very good* for me and there were other sections
> that laid out the difference between DOS and Linux simply as well as
> giving simple examples

Very good point--I shall ensure that the DOS comparison charts remain.

> So, I wonder if you are not trying to "write a book" with your new
> proposed HOW-TO? Making it unreadable for the impatient.

Well, I'm not trying to write a book :) but I had noticed there is a
scarcity of good, free Windows-Linux migration documents currently out
there. Migration requires a lot more than knowing equivalent commands,
especially in an age when most Windows users stick exclusively to the
GUI and seldom, if ever, use the command line. The Windows command
line has suffered from ten years of decay--MS is finally discussing
giving it a boost with this Monad shell.

Still, the command-line comparisons are important, especially for
old-timers like me who actually remember the DOS commands :)

As for the impatient--well, Linux is easily installed now (easier than
Windows!) so I'd expect they just install it and fool around--which is
a good thing; everyone should do that :) But as Guido wrote five years
ago, the impatient will often give up on moving to Linux. I gave up on
Linux several times before settling into it, and having some of this
documentation in one place could have helped a lot.

Omari

--
Omari -- Caution. The moving walkway is ending.