discuss: Request for feedback: Windows-to-Linux HOWTO outline

Subject: Request for feedback: Windows-to-Linux HOWTO outline
From: Omari Norman ####@####.####
Date: 1 Dec 2005 19:17:50 -0000

Hi all,
I shall be updating the From DOS/Windows to Linux HOWTO. It's been
five years since it was updated, and a lot has changed since then, so
I've been developing an outline for the update.

The target audience for the document consists of home Windows users
who wish to switch to Linux. It will speak to moderately experienced
Windows users--those who have a few years experience with Windows and
who know a fair amount about how Windows works. This is for a few
reasons: 1) that's the situation I was in a few months ago, 2)
probably most people switching to Linux are at least moderately
experienced, and 3) teaching moderately experienced Windows users is
the hardest, because they know how to do most things in Windows and
may think Linux is inferior simply because they do not know how to
accomplish certain things in Linux.

Most of the updated HOWTO will discuss things that are already
documented at TLDP and elsewhere. In keeping with the modular nature
of free software, I will refer readers to those other resources as
much as possible. What's missing that I hope to add is a specific
Windows-to-Linux focus--for example, explicitly explaining to Windows
users that the process for installing new software in Linux is
extremely different from doing so in Windows. (I think this specific
point frustrates many new users and at first it was a big turnoff for
me.)

I've developed an outline that's as complete as I can think to make
it. I'd enjoy some feedback as to organization and any key topics I
may have missed.

Thanks.
Omari

Introduction
   Synopsis
   Who this document is for
Is Linux for you?
   More security, more control
   Freedom to (if you want):
      to learn how computers work
      to contribute
   Software benefits:
      much less expensive
         Initial outlay lower
         No need to spend $ on upkeep (e.g. AV, antispy, firewalls)
      superior quality
   But:
      Must take time to install new system, transfer files
      Must learn a different way of operating a computer
         Windows way is different (not necessarily harder)
      Switching may not be easy
         But then, neither is continuing to use Windows.
   Test drive a live CD.
Core differences
   Free software
   Modular applications
   File system
      Tree
      Mounting
      Case sensitive
      File extensions (and lack thereof)
      Multiuser system; file permissions
   Most applications are included
      Installing new applications
Getting help
   Distribution documentation
   /usr/share/doc
   Desktop environment help systems
   TLDP
   man and info pages
   Searching the Web
   Usenet
   Asking questions at websites
   Reporting bugs
Saving documents from your Windows system
   Finding all your documents
   Back them up as necessary
   Saving your emails
      Outlook and Outlook Express
      Other programs
   Dealing with copy restricted WMAs and AACs
Choosing and installing a distribution
   Desktops
   Laptops (tuxmobil; Linux on laptops)
Desktop Applications
   X, and Desktop Environments
      GNOME
      KDE
      Others
   Equivalent applications between Linux and Windows
      Dial-up networking
      Email, importing from Outlook
      Financial files, importing from Quicken and Microsoft Money
      Photos
      Office
      Tax (nothing yet, but Web apps available)
      Wine and CrossOver Office
      Multimedia playback (MP3 and DVD)
      Purchasing MP3s (allofmp3, tunster)
      File sharing
      Burning CDs, and Windows-style packet writing
      Archiving
      For more information
Security
   Best practices
   Antivirus
   System security updates
   Firewalls
Installing new applications
   Make sure one is not already installed
   The two main Linux package types: rpm and dpkg
      What a package is
      What a repository is
      The difference between:
         dpkg and apt
         rpm and {yast, urpmi, apt ...}
      Dependencies and libraries
   Searching for and installing packages
      No rebooting needed
   Other installation methods (avoid if possible)
      from downloaded packages
      from source
Hardware
   Digital cameras
   Printers
      TurboPrint
   Palms
   iPods
   Modems and Winmodems
System administration
   System administration tools like Control Panel
   Backup
   Disk checking and defragmenting
   Scheduling and automating tasks
      cron
      Shell scripting
   Getting system configuration information
      GUI tools
      proc filesystem
      lspci and lsusb
   System and application settings (Registry)
   Networking
      Sharing printers and files
   Startup and shutdown sequences
   Working at the command line
      Equivalent DOS and Linux commands
Coexistence of Linux and Windows
   File and printer sharing
   Linux use of Windows drive partitions
Programming

--
Omari -- Caution. The moving walkway is ending.