discuss: Translation effort workflow

Subject: Re: [discuss] Translation effort workflow
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 17 Oct 2005 05:49:16 -0000

On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 01:38:11AM +0800, Alex Nordstrom wrote:
> Thursday, 13 October 2005 01:31, ####@####.#### wrote:
>
>  - stopping the inaptly named Html2Html.pl from linking section headings
> to the TOC when converting Linuxdoc SGML to HTML

For multiple-chunk html, there seems to be two sets of links for
Next/Previous/Contents.  Html2Html converts from Html to Html, more
specifically from broken html to fixed html.  I suppose the broken
html is not really html but I think the name makes sense.  One can put
the sgml2html output thru w3m (another html2html-type filter) and
improve the html.
>  - changing the hardcoded labels for Next/Previous/Contents in
> Html2Html.pl to Swedish
>  - modifying ldp_mk to handle the standard locations of utilities
> installed using aptitude
>  - removing escape characters from the plaintext version (thanks to
> Steven Atkinson for a very timely message)
>
> I spent considerable time trying to do the latter in a more elegant
> fashion. It seems that modifying the utilities not to include the
> escape characters in the first place is nontrivial

See my post (which was likely posted after you wrote this).  I just
substituted nroff -c for groff (in /usr/bin/linuxdoc) and gave it a
flag (-c) not to generate the esc sequences (plus removing a space
after the -T option where nroff is called).  It works but it may break
something else.  So there should be a flag to groff which will get
passed to grotty (the groff post-processor for tty output) to disable
the escape sequences.  But poor documentation kept me from finding out
how to do this.  grotty by default generates the escape sequences (the
grotty man page says so) so based on this and my experiment we at
least we now know where the escape sequences come from.