discuss: Translation effort workflow

Subject: Re: [discuss] Translation effort workflow
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 11 Oct 2005 07:44:48 -0000

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 01:41:11AM +0800, Alex Nordstrom wrote:
[snip
> Second, if this is not just a result of my ineptitude at information
> searching, and if there really is no document collecting the
> experiences of translation efforts, then it is about damn time one be
> created.

Yes, but right now at LDP it may be difficult to find anyone with the
time and knowledge to work on this.

> This is the procedure for translating a document from the Linux
> Documentation Project (LDP) for the Linux Society of Sweden.
>

> Choose A Document
[snip
> Start Translating
>
> If possible, perform the translation in source code format. This is not
> as scary as it sounds. LDP uses two document formats as a basis for
> automatically generating standardised documents in several different
> formats. These two formats are Linuxdoc and Docbook.
>
> Linuxdoc and Docbook are two XML variants for adding tags to a text

Linuxdoc is SGML and not XML (which I consider inferior to SGML)

> which describe its structure. The differences between the formats are
> not that major, and they are also pretty similar to, for example, HTML,

There are significant differences.  Linuxdoc allows the omission of
many end tags and in some cases of both start and end tags.