discuss: Translation effort workflow

Subject: Re: [discuss] Translation effort workflow
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 10 Oct 2005 05:38:31 -0000

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 12:03:21AM +0200, Scot Stevenson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >Use format highlighter editors, such as jEdit (http://
> >www.jedit.org/) or an xml
> >editor, such as XMLMind (http://www.xmlmind.com/).
>
> I would again like to take this opportunity to push Stuart Rackham's
> wonderful AsciiDoc format (http://www.methods.co.nz/asciidoc/) where
> you basically just type the damn thing in any ASCII-capable editor
> and let the machine convert it to DocBook (or HTML or whatever). I
> just (finally) got my update to the Mock Mainframe HOWTO done, this
> time in AsciiDoc instead of pure DocBook, and the difference in speed
> and ease of writing is spectacular, not to mention in readability. As
> wonderful as DocBook might be for machines, I still think it is
> simply cruel to ask humans to read it, let alone write it, and that
> we are sending all kinds of potential writers running screaming for
> the hills by even hinting that it is the format of choice.

I think that I took a very quick look as AsciiDoc some time ago and
concluded that it was not much easier than LinuxDoc (using a minimal
number of LinuxDoc tags).  So since the existing docs are in
LinuxDoc/DocBook, they probably should be kept in those formats.  I
would like to see LDP encourage the conversion of DocBook docs to
LinuxDoc for cases where a new author is taking over that is not
familiar with DocBook.