discuss: Translation effort workflow

Subject: Re: [discuss] Translation effort workflow
From: Scot Stevenson ####@####.####
Date: 9 Oct 2005 22:03:26 -0000

Hi,

> Use format highlighter editors, such as jEdit (http://
> www.jedit.org/) or an xml
> editor, such as XMLMind (http://www.xmlmind.com/).

I would again like to take this opportunity to push Stuart Rackham's
wonderful AsciiDoc format (http://www.methods.co.nz/asciidoc/) where
you basically just type the damn thing in any ASCII-capable editor
and let the machine convert it to DocBook (or HTML or whatever). I
just (finally) got my update to the Mock Mainframe HOWTO done, this
time in AsciiDoc instead of pure DocBook, and the difference in speed
and ease of writing is spectacular, not to mention in readability. As
wonderful as DocBook might be for machines, I still think it is
simply cruel to ask humans to read it, let alone write it, and that
we are sending all kinds of potential writers running screaming for
the hills by even hinting that it is the format of choice.

More to the point: Since AsciiDoc is in Python and GPL, you should be
able to change the language specific stuff very quickly. I have used
it for English and German and though things like umlauts work fine,
there are some minor points that are annoying like the automatically
generated footer in the HTML version. Presumably, this should be a
simple patch.

Y, Scot