discuss: small demo page

Subject: Re: [discuss] Re: small demo page
From: ####@####.#### (Andrew M.A. Cater)
Date: 13 Sep 2005 19:51:20 -0000

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 09:41:03PM +0200, Stein Gjoen wrote:

> About 5 years ago I spent 15 minutes in the morning, noon and afternoon
> handling TLDP emails alone plus evenings doing other TLDP works. Currently
> there is nowhere that volume of email.
>
> And yes, I feel TLDP needs revitalisation
>  - the new categories have to be implemented (I am working on that)
>  - more cooperations with other groups needed
>  - more cooperations with distributions (Redhat no longer
>   include TLDP material), need to check out more here
>
> I feel we have to look at our audience and serve them better
> (end users, distribution makes and authors). I doubts we can
> ever say we are finished, continuous improvements is the norm
> these days.

Given concerns expressed by Debian over the freeness of various
documentation licences:

Is it possible to dual-license TLDP material under GFDL / CC _and_
GPL / BSD so that it can be freely included in distributions?

Given that TLDP is no longer a sole source of HOWTOs and information
- who should we be partnering with?

> >AFAIK, tldp still accomplishes the above.  (Has there been a falloff in
> >quantity of documents downloaded recently?  Is it because the documents
> >are shipped with many Linux distributions?0

Google has replaced many HOWTOs as a first source of reference.

> We improved quality by removing a few documents of questionable
> value. These leave holes that I would like to see filled with new
> HOWTOs.
>
> Moreover I am not certain all distributions still carry TLDP
> HOWTOS. We know Redhat does not. Debian does. Suse seems like
> it might do. What about the others?

Debian may choose not to carry GFDL / CC licensed stuff relatively soon.

> >In other words, what signs do you (anyone) see that tldp is becoming less
> >vital?

I haven't seen a "Dr. Linux" type book for years.