discuss: small demo page

Subject: Re: small demo page
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 13 Sep 2005 09:31:42 -0000

On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 12:38:15PM +0200, Stein Gjoen wrote:
> This argument comes up every now and then. My standard argument
> is that the TLDP collection can be downloaded, searched and read
> before downloading the applications that come with their own set
> of documentation.

There is more need than ever for HOWTOs covering hardware.  The apps
seldom cover hardware and if they do, may not cover it adequately.
One problem is that there is a lot of hardware that doesn't work with
Linux due to Windows-only drivers.  In other cases the hardware will
work under Linux but doesn't have all its features supported by the
Linux driver.  Also, some hardware is defective in design, but will
still work if the driver has a workaround.  Currently, there's only
limited coverage of hardware by HOWTOs and much of it is out-of-date.

Also of interest (to developers and would-be developers) would be
HOWTOs explaining how to write programs that communicate with hardware
such as device drivers.  The Serial-Programming HOWTO was one (but it
needs revision).