discuss: Proposal: HOWTO write a file system

Subject: Re: [discuss] Proposal: HOWTO write a file system
From: Pradeep Padala ####@####.####
Date: 2 Sep 2005 21:56:16 -0000

Hi Kave,

> So I referred to kernel source code and after a hard
> week:) soultion emerged.
> I am intended to write "HOWTO write a file system in
> linux", which illustrates the subject with an example,
> the example FS could be a "completely new FS" which I
> would design it for the HOWTO, or an already existing
> simple FS like FAT.
> I wait for your idea, about whole thing and about the
> example.

This is a nice idea, and I was thinking of writing something like this
for a while and couldn't do it for lack of time. However, don't under
estimate the effort in writing such a howto. It's pretty easy to write a
simple file system that can be mounted and has simple read/write
capability using generic functions. But, the devil is in the details. A
clear demonstration of usage of buffer cache and your own versions of
generic_file_read and generic_file_write is a tough task. I don't mean
to discourage you and please post a link to your doc to the list.

BTW, I am the author of the logfs for Linux
(http://logfs.sourceforge.net)

--
Pradeep Padala
http://ppadala.blogspot.com