discuss: part of the review?

Subject: Re: part of the review?
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 15 Jul 2001 07:05:58 -0000

this thread is now very long. I think this is because it's subject is
important.

I think the first problem is that one must usually know already a lot of
tools:

word for windows, at least because we receive at work every day .doc letters,

html, because it's always necessary to edit the web pages code by hand

vi at least for confugration purpose on exotics PC

StarOffice (or kword?) if one need to make office work on Linux.

how many data processing languages? C, Perl, Python, assembly...

and now a special language for LDP.

I mean that Docbook is NOT used anywhere I know out of Linux documentation.
I NEVER got a docbook document else from kde or ldp.
And I think this is the case for many of us.

(I don't speak about university folks)

so one must keep learning short.

this is why I advocate for docbook modules for the most popular text
processing packages. One could certainly make a macro package for word for
windows making the translation word <->docbook easy.

don't think I am a word user, I'm not, but I know a great deal of Linux users
working on windows job time.

and as soon as these packahes don't exist, keep linuxdoc, very simple to
learn, despite of it's limitation (or because it's limitations).

I'm not a programmer, so I can hardly help, but I think LDP should advocate
largely on it's web site for this building of docbook modules for all the
text processors (don't say docbook is too structured, one can write
structured text even on non structured tool).

jdd

--
<http://www.dodin.net> ####@####.####
WHO'S THAT GUY ? Help me found it