discuss: Home Networking HOWTO

Subject: Re: [discuss] Home Networking HOWTO
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 24 Aug 2005 21:23:57 -0000

Just one comments from me on the DHCP-issue.

Richard Schetnan wrote:
[sni]

> the context of home networking. For example, setting
> up DNS and DHCP is great for a corporate LAN, but for
> a home network with three or four computers, it is
> much quicker and easier to use the /etc/hosts file to
> define the network. Simply put, DNS and DHCP are
> completely unnecessary for home networking. This is

Note that some firewalls (including Smoothwall)
and some ADSL-modems (Like Thompson Speedtouch)
have DHCP-functionality already included. I also
believe many wireless routers do too.

My own house net already include 2 DHCP-servers and
enough machines to keep this place rather warm. I am
therefore very interested in your HOWTO.

With the increase in both DSL-coverage and network
attacks I believe there will be an increasing number
of DHCP-boxes in the homes.

If you emphasise the /etc/hosts approach you might
want to include details on reliably handlig updates
as well as parameters for choosing /etc/hosts over
DHCP. Once upon a time /etc/hosts was used across
the Internet. Apparently it was not trivial to keep
it current.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen