discuss: Home Networking HOWTO

Subject: Re: [discuss] Home Networking HOWTO
From: Machtelt Garrels ####@####.####
Date: 24 Aug 2005 09:11:18 -0000

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005, Richard Schetnan wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I've been looking for a way to contribute to TLDP
> (beyond purchasing a t-shirt, which I've already
> done), and I think I've found something. As I was
> setting up a home network last week, I grabbed the
> Home Network mini HOWTO and found that it was very out
> of date (over five years old), which really limited
> its usefulness. I wrote to the author, Paul Ramsey,
> who said that I could take ownership of the document
> if I wanted to update it (see the attached message).
> So that's what I would like to do.

Good initiative, I'll mark you as the new maintainer then.
I trust you will come up with a new title?

> For example, though I don't want to change the scope
> of the howto, I do want to make it less
> distribution-specific and I also want to discuss

Good idea.  I think that we can leave out a lot of RedHat specific stuff,
because we are all using the same TCP/IP stack and network apps.

> alternate ways of doing things that make more sense in
> the context of home networking. For example, setting
> up DNS and DHCP is great for a corporate LAN, but for
> a home network with three or four computers, it is
> much quicker and easier to use the /etc/hosts file to
> define the network. Simply put, DNS and DHCP are
> completely unnecessary for home networking. This is
> more than just simply updating the document to reflect
> changes to software and software versions.In this
> case, would it be best to propose a new outline for
> the how-to, as though I were proposing an entirely new
> howto? Or do I, as the new author, simply forge ahead
> and replace the discussion of DNS/DHCP with a
> discussion of setting up /etc/hosts? Are such changes
> to existing howtos discouraged or disallowed?

As Charles already stated, you are the new owner, you decide.  Maybe you
can move the DNS/DHCP stuff to an appendix.

> Is there anything else I should consider or know
> before I embark on this project?

Should more questions or remarks turn up while reviewing and editing,
please let me know, I'd be glad to help.  When you have finished editing
the document, please send it to ####@####.#### for revision.  I will
then find you a reviewer who can have a last look over it, and then we
will republish it.
I updated http://www.tldp.org/authors/inprogress.html#inprogress to show
that you are working on it.

Thanks for volunteering, we appreciate your sense of initiative.

Tille.

- --
Machtelt Garrels                ####@####.####
Review Coordinator    	 	http://www.tldp.org/authors/