discuss: To or not to Wiki, a summary [Was Re: small demo page]

Subject: Re: [discuss] Re: To or not to Wiki, a summary [Was Re: small demo page]
From: Randy Kramer ####@####.####
Date: 22 Aug 2005 16:45:05 -0000

On Sunday 21 August 2005 07:53 pm, jdd wrote:
> as one said I should go ahead, I asked sourceforge for a
> tldpwiki project (experimental). This don't mean I dislike
> tkwiki, I only know better mediawiki. I have no preference.
> why not test the two ones?

No problem.  All I (anybody) need(s) is an HTML version of the document
(preferably divided into pages of a reasonable size) (and no legal or similar
impediments).

The Network HOWTO that someone mentioned might be of interest to me (I
recently got Samba and NFS working reasonably well on my home network).

> as of the unmaintained HOWTO problem, I don't see any
> solution. using the old one as a model may be seen as a
> license infringement. I'm not a lawyer, though.

I wonder if someone can comment on that authoritatively?  I'm fairly sure
there is no problem (with copyright) if I read someone's document, then
(possibly with a time delay) write a document using the knowledge gained
there.  (If that document were a work of fiction, I might have more problems,
like if I used a too-similar plot or characters.)

Anybody know of a set of guidelines as to what's permissible and what is not
(assuming that:
    (1) we can't get permission from the original author (because we can't
contact him), but
   (2) we do have sufficient permission to publish his document on a wiki
(part of his original permission to allow the tldp to publish his document),
and
   (3) his document is read only (we won't be editing his document).
   (4) other necessary conditions??

(Attempt at defusing any offense re: gender specific pronouns with lame
attempt at humor: Of course, I realize that if the author is female we'd have
to revisit each of these points ;-)

Randy Kramer