discuss: To or not to Wiki, a summary [Was Re: small demo page]

Subject: Re: To or not to Wiki, a summary [Was Re: small demo page]
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 21 Aug 2005 22:00:09 -0000

Randy Kramer wrote:

> Interesting.  We could do something like this (really, a workaround) by having
> two pages in the wiki (TWiki) (as jdd has)

Randy, I went two hours ago through old bookmarks and find
my own tkwiki account
(http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Main/JeanDanielDodin) :-)

as ever the problem is I have not yet updated my howto, so
this address is unknown :-(. That is why such a	 wiki must
be "official" (tldp advertised) if definitively accepted of
course.

>> jdd put up a demo page with editable and non-editable pages

as one said I should go ahead, I asked sourceforge for a
tldpwiki project (experimental). This don't mean I dislike
tkwiki, I only know better mediawiki. I have no preference.
why not test the two ones?

however I think we should see the wiki as _an other_ media,
not a replacement for anything, thus accepting some
drawbacks to have some advantages.

For example, the license issue. _I know_ the debate, I
followed it. but given the collective and partly anonymous
nature of wiki work, we could force for an unique licence
given to the tldp. mediawiki, by default, is LGPL. Licence
could be owned by tldp. of course authors don't liking this
license could use any of the classical way.

I _don't say_ we must do this, only _we could_

as of the unmaintained HOWTO problem, I don't see any
solution. using the old one as a model may be seen as a
license infringement. I'm not a lawyer, though.

jdd

--
pour m'écrire, aller sur:
http://www.dodin.net