discuss: small demo page

Subject: Re: small demo page
From: Yaroslav Fedevych ####@####.####
Date: 20 Aug 2005 21:48:52 -0000

On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 10:49:46PM +0200, jdd wrote:

> well. I wont spend my time on this subject any longer.

False. You have spent also the time of *other* people which had to
explain you things that were explained already a couple  of times. You
know, mailing list archives are there for a  purpose... And one of those
purposes is to _study_ them, to come up with a really good and new idea
which has no shortcomings of what was discussed before.

> Does the tldp wants an _official_ tldp wiki. if the answer
> is yes, we can go further, if not we can stop.

Just my five cents on the subject.

A wiki has some shortcomings which were clearly stated in this thread,
and in half-year-old (IIRC) threads on a similar subject. But it would
be excellent for TLDP for this one thing.

TLDP folks would throw into it those HOWTOs which are really obsolete,
unmaintained and, well, their authors cannot be reached by any possible
means.

Then some random people would have the opportunity to throw in some
paragraphs as they see fit, with no obligations, no hassle. Just in five
or ten minutes, their changes are there and for everyone to see.

In practice, however, those people are not just random beings. And,
probably, they have more to say. Eventually, they would form a small
interests group -- a mini-community. And they would be the ones who take
over those documents, not by declaring a fresh version in a month (with
failure to deliver), but by actually making updates and making a howto
rise from the dead.

Some people, say, wiki admins, would work with those people to get them
to the regular LDP document maintenance process, wish they switch to it.
But even if they do not, having them subscribe to this list is a good
thing.

This is just the case where the bazaar wins over the cathedral. The
ability to make contributions without the need to have any additional
approvals attracts the people -- and some of them are actually people
TLDP needs.

But as for switching other docs to a wiki... Well, you know, why we need
better things, if the current ones are good enough? And in most cases,
"good enough" is synonymous to "optimal". A thought well worth
meditations.

--
X Windows: Japan's secret weapon.